This award was established by Mary Annis, a proud U of L alumna and artist; in honor of the founding faculty of the U of L Department of Art. Her vision for this award is to foster the same interest in art that she experienced during her time at the U of L, for our current students studying in an art program. This annual award is intended to allow 2 students in Art to attend an artist residency in a retreat-like setting at the Gushul Studio and Writer’s Cottage in Blairmore, AB, located in the scenic and historic Crowsnest Pass. Two students will attend the Gushul residency for the full month of May 2020, with one student occupying the Studio accommodation and one student housed in the Writer’s Cottage adjacent to the Art Studio. The studio workspace facility will be shared by both students. Collaborative projects are welcomed.
- Studio/Cottage rent and residency fees will be covered.
- An additional $700 will be provided to each student for living/travel expenses and food/materials
- Mentoring provided by their selected Art Faculty Member.
- The two students may enroll to receive credit for an Independent Study for the work completed.
- A modest exhibition of completed work, resulting from the residency, will be mounted in the Art Department. A brief written report regarding work completed during residency will be required.
Eligibility: Successful applicants must confirm full-time enrollment in an Art or cognate program at the UofL during the application semester (Spring 20), but are not required to be enrolled during the residency period.
Criteria: Successful applicants will demonstrate excellence in art or cognate practice, as demonstrated by the examples of work and artist/research statement submitted, as well as a clear plan of work to pursue during the one-month period, as demonstrated in the letter of intent and timeline they have provided.
Application to Include:
- Letter of intent (500 words)
- Portfolio: Maximum of 10 images (jpg) of recent work with image list and brief descriptions (Applicants whose discipline is research/writing: 2 examples of writing in any genre)
- Artist statement or research proposal
- Projected timeline/ work plan for one month period
- Resumé/ curriculum vitae
Deadline: January 31, 2020
Submit your completed application directly to: Department of Art Administrative Office, W811 University of Lethbridge, Telephone: (403) 394-3997
For more information about the Gushul Studio Residency: