Gushul Residency Program Application Guidelines
NOTE: Gushul Residency Program alumni need only submit a short cover letter and request for dates.
Applications are accepted on an ongoing basis. Be sure to check the availability and fees for both the Studio and the Cottage.
The Gushul Studio now accepts ONLY digital/online application packages. Mailed applications, including USB drives or CD/DVDs, will not be accepted or returned. Files can be attached to your email message, or sent via a file hosting service such as DropBox.
Send Applications to: email@example.com
Subject Line: GUSHUL STUDIO RESIDENCY PROGRAM APPLICATION
___ Gushul Studio Application Form (download, print, complete, sign).
___ Cover Letter: Introduce your research / creative practice and your proposed residency project.
___ Curriculum Vitae.
___ Support Material (see below): Support Material for Artists / Support Material for Writers.
Support Materials for Artists - 'Artist' is defined as someone with a studio, research and/or intellectual practice that engages material production (includes photographers, painters, filmmakers, video/audio artists, installation/digital artists, etc.):
- 10 digital images (jpeg format, RGB colour mode, no larger than 1.5 MB each). Label each image file sequentially with number, initials and date (e.g. 01initialsdate, 02initialsdate, 03initialsdate…).
- Image list that corresponds to images submitted.
- A compilation file of up to 5 minutes of audiovisual material (maximum 60 fps, maximum resolution of 1080P or 1920x1080 frame size, no larger than 4 GB). Please note that the file must be viewable by a viewer such as VLC media player (for more information, consult www.videolan.org/vlc/)
- Video list that corresponds to audiovisual material submitted.
- Scans of publications, catalogues, or critical reviews of your work (optional)
Note: Application materials can be sent Applicants may send both images and video via URL link.
Support Materials for Writers - 'Writer' is defined as someone with a writing, research and/or intellectual practice that engages literature, theory, history, art history, curation, cultural study, cultural critique, or related disciplines:
- Writing Sample(s), maximum of 10 pages.
- List of publications; catalogues; critical reviews of your work (optional)
Artists and writers with a professional practice and at any stage of their careers are eligible. Residencies are intended as creative opportunities for artists and writers working in all genres and mediums. Artistic merit and promise are the basis for selections. Both established and emerging artists and writers are encouraged to apply.
Collaborators may be accepted for a residency and are asked to submit a joint proposal.
Couples who are artists or writers may apply individually with the understanding that one partner may be officially accepted.
Previous residents may apply for a residency by submitting a short cover letter and a request for dates.
A committee of artists and arts professionals reviews applications and support materials on an ongoing basis. Final awards of residencies are at the discretion of the Gushul Residency Program Committee, Department of Art, Faculty of Fine Arts, University of Lethbridge.
Successful applicants receive a written ‘Residency Contract’ in the mail prior to their residency dates. They are asked to sign and return the contract via fax, email or post with their first payment installment.