LBED2850A - Mapping Self, Career, Campus & Community
LBED 2850A: The First-Year Experience: Mapping Our Communities
Instructor: Prof. Shelly Wismath
Class Time: MW 14:00 - 14:50
Course designation: Social Science
NOTE: This course is intended for first-year students (having completed fewer than 30.0 credit hours).
EQUIVALENT: Liberal Education 2850 (Mapping Self, Career, Campus, Community) (prior to 2013/2014)
When you begin your university education, you enter a variety of new communities, on many different levels - new physical spaces, new social relationships, and new academic communities. This course will introduce you to these communities, and help you find your place in them.
Using maps and map-making as guiding metaphors, students will:
- explore the U of L campus as a physical and social space
- learn about the local area, from various points of view
- learn about the kinds of support available to students on campus to help them succeed at university and beyond, and how to access such resources
- become part of the academic community by meeting outstanding professors and learning about their research;
- learn about what Liberal Education is, and how it works at the U of L