The Teaching Centre Advisory Council is made up from a variety of members. Members include current Teaching Fellows, the Board of Governors Teaching Chair, as well as representatives from each faculty. Students also have representation on this council as the Student's Union and the Graduate Student Association both have representatives as well.
The council is not a governing board, but a council meant to provide a faculty voice to initiatives related to teaching excellence here at the University of Lethbridge.
Members of the Teaching Centre Advisory Council
- Olu Awosoga - Board of Governors' Teaching Chair (July 2018 – June 2021)
- David Hinger - Teaching Centre Academic Director
- Jeff Meadows - Teaching Centre
- Jill Payant - Teaching Centre Administrative Assistant
- Luz Ospina -Teaching Fellow (January 2019 – December 2020)
- YJ Bao -Teaching Fellow (January 2019 - December 2020)
- Artur Luczak - Teaching Fellow (July 2019 - June 2021)
- Jennifer Burke - Teaching Fellow (July 2019 - June 2021)
- Ying Zheng - Teaching Fellow (January 2020 – December 2021)
- Glenda Bonifacio - Teaching Fellow (January 2020 – December 2021)
- Josh Davies - Teaching Fellow (July 2020 – June 2022)
- Maureen Hawkins - Teaching Fellow (July 2020 – June 2022)
- Brian Black - Faculty of Fine Arts Representative (July 2020 – June 2021)
- Emma Scott- Library Representative (September 2019 – December 2020)
- Rober Leblanc - Education Representative (July 2019 – June 2021)
- Wayne Lippa - Faculty of Arts & Science Representative (July 2020 – June 2022)
- Callista Chasse - Health Science Representative (July 2019 – June 2021)
- Craig Milner - Management Representative (July 2019 – June 2021)
- Liam Connel - Student Union Representative (January 2020 – December 2021)
- Abrar Darda - Graduate Student Association Representative (January 2020 – December 2021)
Criteria and Terms of Reference for ADVISORY COUNCIL MEMBERS
1. GENERAL QUALIFICATIONS
Broad-based, inclusive delivery of an exemplary system of support and services for teaching will require active participation by representatives of all Faculties/Schools in the university. Advisory Council members will be selected for their demonstrated commitment to excellence in teaching and their willingness to champion the importance of teaching development in the university community. They will advocate the guiding principles of the Centre that:
- Teaching and learning are fundamental to the purpose of the university.
- All students must be provided opportunities to learn in ways consistent with most effective instructional practices.
- Effective university teaching can be defined, learned and demonstrated.
- All university teachers are committed to excellence in teaching.
- Scholarly inquiry is fundamental to the enhancement of teaching effectiveness.
- Excellence in teaching will be honored, rewarded, and celebrated in ways similar to those accorded to excellence in research.
- Participation in the activities offered by the Centre will be at the discretion of individual university teachers.
- Teaching development is most likely to occur in a collaborative community characterized by trust and mutual respect.
II. ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Teaching Centre Council will select the individuals required to:
- Provide guidance to the Teaching Centre Director regarding policies and procedures inherent in the Centre.
- Support the mandate of the Centre through participation in various events and through providing effective linkages to the community at large.
- Provide timely and thoughtful responses to information received from the Teaching Centre Director.
- Serve as faculty voice in the creation and implementation of Teaching Centre initiatives.
- Develop and follow appropriate procedures for the selection of Teaching Fellows and Teaching Chairs.
- When necessary, vet nominations for recognition awards granted by the Centre.
- Extend the University’s commitment to a scholarship of teaching.
- Vet nominations for the Council Chair, Teaching Chairs and Teaching Fellows.
- Select recipients for the Outstanding Teaching awards.
- Vet applications for the Teaching Development Fund.
- Provide representation on the Distinguished Teaching Award Committee.
III TERMS OF APPOINTMENT
Faculties/Schools will establish appropriate nomination procedures and will forward the applications of qualified candidates to the present Teaching Centre Chair and Council. Advisory Council Student members are appointed for one year and all other Council members to be appointed for a two-year period.