COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

Access to campus is currently restricted. More information about COVID-19

Personal, Non-Academic Issues

Something that is out of my control affects my living situation and my academic abilities.
Make an appointment with Counselling Services. They provide individual counselling; it’s free and confidential.

For academic help, talk to your Faculty academic advisor; you can also notify your professors, but an advisor may do that for you without revealing personal details.


I'm having problems with my boyfriend/girlfriend and that's making it hard to focus on my schoolwork.
If you are unable to resolve your issues, you may want to consider counselling — either individual or for the two of you. If that doesn't work, you might need to rethink the relationship. You can make an appointment for individual counselling with Counselling Services.  It’s free and confidential.

If you are having academic issues, make sure you talk to an academic advisor and/or a counsellor as soon as possible.


I'm having trouble with my roommate.
Whether you live on campus or off, know that this is normal. Effectively sharing a living space is difficult and requires you and your roommate(s) have ongoing, in-person communication about your living habits, personal priorities, expectations, and concerns. To be most successful:

  • Communicate your concerns in-person only. Only use social media or text messages to arrange a time to meet.
  • Communicate your concerns early and promptly. Help your roommates understand by providing specific details in an honest and direct, yet respectful fashion.
  • Listen carefully. Try to understand your roommate’s concern, viewpoint, background, experience, perspective, and needs.
  • For some other tips, visit


I have a friend that I'm worried might be suicidal.
Suggest your friend seek help. Counselling Services provides individual counselling that is confidential and free of to all students on campus.

The Health Centre has a Mental Health Team that works in collaboration with two campus psychiatrists.

Talk to someone else you trust, such as a parent, an advisor, a teacher, a counsellor etc. There are also many community supports available, such as the Distress Line of Southern Alberta at 403-327-7905.


I suddenly get very ill on campus.
Go to the Health Centre (lower level of the Students Union Building). Check here for hours.

If you are too ill to go home or to the Health Centre, you can call (or ask someone else to call) Security to assist you in getting to the Health Centre or home.

The non-emergency telephone number for Security is 329-2603. The emergency number is 329-2345.


I'm running out of money by the end of semester.
If you are unable to ask your parents for money, go to the Scholarships and Student Finance office. Financial advisors can help you get a loan. They may have funds available to borrow for emergencies.

Look for a (part-time) job. Check out Career and Employment Services.  

If you need support in securing food, the ULSU operates the Student Union Food Bank.

For the long term, work on your budgeting skills. Contact the Scholarships and Student Finance office for a personal financial consultation. You may even be eligible for a scholarship or bursary.


I'm not sure where to pay my tuition fees.
You can pay your fees online via your bank’s website using your student ID number as your name. Or, you can go to the Cash Office in Anderson Hall.


Someone is bullying or harassing me.
If your safety is being threatened, contact Security.

Visit Counselling Services to take care of your mental health and meet with a counsellor who can help you with this. There are free counselling services available to all students on campus.

Try to avoid the bully as much as possible.

The Sexual Violence Information website also has useful information.

uLethbridge has a Harassment and Discrimination Policy and as part of that policy, there are trained consultants who can provide information and support.

Contact the Dean’s office of your Faculty or School.