COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

Access to campus is currently restricted. More information about COVID-19

Course or Program Issues

I need to register for fall semester but don’t know which courses to take.
Find out where the Academic Advising office is for your Faculty.

Meet with an academic advisor to discuss your options; they are great at this kind of help. 

Check out the Academic Calendar and Course Catalogue and/or program planning guide to see what courses are required for your program and major. Make sure you have the prerequisites for courses you will require and take one of those.


I need to take a pre-requisite course.
Usually a prerequisite is a lower level or foundational course you need to have taken to be successful in a next-level course. Sometimes the prerequisite is a specific number of courses or credit hours completed. A co-requisite is a course taken at the same time or before the desired course. Click on View Catalog Entry when registering or look at course descriptions to check for prerequisites before you register.

If you are missing course prerequisites, you will be prevented from registering in the course or your registration may be cancelled without notice. In unique circumstances, you may apply for a waiver if you lack the course prerequisites. Please contact your Faculty advising office for more information.

Faculties frequently check courses and remove students who are missing prerequisites or co-requisites. Although you may be notified if you are removed from a course, it is best to make sure you have the prerequisites or get a waiver prior to registering for any course.


I don’t understand what the Liberal Education List requirement is.
The Liberal Education List Requirement (Lib Ed Requirement) is a requirement for all undergraduate students. Liberal Education ensures you develop breadth of knowledge and skills in critical thinking, teambuilding, problem solving, effective communication, and information literacy. It encourages you to integrate information learned from different subjects and become an active citizen in your community.

The requirement is that you must take courses from each of three lists: fine arts and humanities, social sciences, and sciences. Students in a degree program must complete a total of 12 courses from the lists but since some (or many) of the courses in your major count towards this requirement, you will likely complete courses on one or more of the lists just by following your program planning guide. These courses may also count towards your minor or your electives.

Check your Program Planning Guide to see how many Lib Ed courses you need for your particular program and what the rules and limitations are.

For more information and to confirm which courses fit into your particular program talk to your Faculty academic advisors. They can recommend useful courses for different programs, areas and majors.  Also check out Liberal Education courses (LBED 1000, LBED 1500, LBED 2100, etc.). You can also ask students further along in their program for suggestions.

Our Academic Calendar and Course Catalogue has a list of the courses that count towards the Lib Ed List Requirement. See the section called Academic Regulations, Policies, and Program Requirements.

Also check with your Faculty academic advising office to confirm which courses count in your program. This is especially important for students enrolled in combined degrees programs.


I want to plan my courses for the entire year and need to know which courses in my major will be offered.
Ask professors in your major subject area or the department's administrative support person to show you the planned timetable. Look in the Directory for the office location.
Courses are planned in the fall each year, for the whole of the following academic year but currently only one semester of courses is visible via the Timetable Search. The full year course timetable will be available beginning in 2019.


I can't get into a class that I need for my major or program.
Be sure to register as soon as your registration window opens so you have the best possible chance of getting the classes you need. If you are unsuccessful, contact your Faculty Academic Advising office or check their website.  All Faculty Academic Advising offices take waitlist requests during designated periods. Find out the specific dates and put your name on the course waitlist.


I can’t get into a class that I want to take.
Keep trying to register until the very end of the add/drop period, approximately one week after the first day of classes each fall and spring semester. See the Academic Schedule for exact dates.


I want to try a course outside my major but am worried I might get a low grade.
You can designate a number of courses credit/non-credit depending on your program. If you earn a C or better, the grade will appear on your transcript and will count toward your GPA. If you pass but earn below a C, you will get credit (Cr will appear on your transcript) for the course; it may count towards your degree but will not be included in your GPA. If you fail the course, NC will appear on your transcript and there will be no impact on your GPA. You have to designate the course as credit/non-credit early in the semester.

See the Academic Calendar and Course Catalogue, Academic Regulations Policies and Program Requirements for more information and limitations. Or, ask your Faculty academic advisor.


There aren’t any required classes for my degree offered next semester.
Talk to your Faculty academic advisor to make sure you haven’t overlooked anything. Maybe you can take courses towards a minor or to fulfill the Liberal Education List Requirement (Lib Ed Requirement) or an interesting elective. Check with your Faculty academic advisor.

Consider doing an independent or applied study (, a co-op work term ( or an international exchange (


A course required for my major is never offered. How am I supposed to finish my degree?
Talk to your Faculty academic advisor to see what the department or Faculty plans are for addressing the problem.


I'd like to talk to someone about what is involved for a different major or program.
Check out the University’s Academic Calendar and Course Catalogue (under the Resources tab on the main homepage) or the department website of the program you are interested in.

Talk to your Faculty academic advisors.

Each department has a Chair and some have a faculty member designated as their student advisor (not the same as an academic advisor). Ask the department administrative assistant if you can make an appointment to see the Chair or student advisor.


I want to drop a required course for my program but am worried I won't have room in my schedule to take it later.
Before dropping a course, see if there is a tutor available and make an appointment with a learning strategist (

It’s also a good idea to talk to your professor before dropping or withdrawing from a course.

Consult your Faculty Academic Advising office.

You may want to consider summer or online courses to help balance your schedule if you need to pick up an extra course later.


I don’t like the courses I have to take and don’t think I want to do this major (really, my mom and dad picked it for me).
You can change your major and even completely change your degree program. Contact Counselling Services to do some career exploration.

Talk to an academic advisor about alternate programs that may suit you better.