Step 1: Before the Career Fair
- Do some preliminary research on the companies you’ve chosen and prepared questions to ask.
- Identify the skills and interests you want to market to employers and refine your resume.
||Step 2: At the Career Fair
- Talk to employers! It may seem intimidating but that’s why they’ve come to campus… to talk to you!
- Be prepared – it helps you relax and lets the conversation flow naturally.
- Make an effort to put your best foot forward – dress up, smile, take a deep breath and be yourself!
||Step 3: Questions to Ask & What to Say
- Start by introducing yourself: Hi, my name is _____. I am a 4th-year psychology student.
- What do you do in a typical day?
- What are the organization’s products and services?
- How is your company organized? Do you promote within?
- What can I do to prepare myself for this career area?
- What skills and qualities are necessary in this career?
- What do you find most rewarding/frustrating about your work?
||Step 4: Keep Track of Information
- Keep well-organized records during your research – either on paper or in a database.
- Collect business cards.
- Include information such as:
- Contact Person (and correct spelling of their name)
- Job Title
- Name/Address/Telephone Number/Website
- Record notes on information you have collected for the future.
||Step 5: Follow up with Employer
- Target your job search and Call/Contact each company:
- Ask for your contact person or HR manager by name.
- Introduce yourself from the U of L Career Fair; mention your program and job search goals (ie. Full-time employment, etc.).
- Ask for a few minutes of their time to ask them questions about their company, any existing openings, or anyone else you could speak to that might be looking to hire University students/graduates in that field
Always get at least one name or lead to contact for next time!