Grow Your Network
Why Should You Build a Network?
- Many jobs are not publicly posted
- Building a network gives you access to jobs before they are posted/to jobs that are not posted
- Employers like to hire people they have already built relationships with
- Employers are more likely to hire people who have been recommended by trusted colleagues and friends
How Do You Build a Network?
Networking is all about getting to know people and letting them get to know you. This can be done online and in person. It is valuable to build relationships with people in your desired field, and outside your desired field - you never know who can help you on your career path! Here are some ideas for how to start building relationships:
- Join a professional association
- Attend Career Fair
- Attend other events on campus and off-campus
- Attend conferences or training in your desired field
- Connect with people on LinkedIn and see their resources for students
- Follow and interact with the Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Snapchat, and/or Google+ streams of people and companies in your desired field
- Build your personal brand (try out pwc's Personal Branding Workbook)
- Develop hobbies - meet people wherever you are!
Tips for Success:
- Take the intiative to introduce yourself to others
- Keep an open posture (face your body towards the people you're talking to, keep arms at sides rather than crossed, stand up straight)
- Practice a firm handshake
- Look people in the eye
- Speak clearly