Section 7(1)(c) of the General Regulations to the Workers’ Compensation Act of Alberta states that students registered in and physically attending an Alberta public post-secondary institution operating under the Post-Secondary Learning Act are considered workers of the Government of Alberta and have WCB coverage under the government’s worker’s compensation account.
WCB coverage also extends to such students while they are participating in or attending work experience or practicum placements in Alberta that are part of their studies.
Students registered in and physically attending an Alberta public post-secondary institution while they are participating in work experience or practicum placement outside of Alberta, provided they meet the following criteria relating to Section 28(1) of the Workers’ Compensation Act, also enjoy the extension of the Alberta WCB student coverage.
- Resident of Alberta
- Student attending the facility (campus-based students/students registered at Alberta facility (distance learning students)
- Course is part of a recognized program.
- Placement is part of a required course.
- Period of time to be spent out of the province is less than 12 consecutive months.
- Confirmation that the other province or country will accept the extension of coverage by the WCB of Alberta.