The City of Lethbridge Fire Department (LFD) in conjunction with Campus Safety Services conducts inspections of the University's campus.
Under the Alberta Safety Codes Act, the Fire Department has the authority to complete an inspection of any and all areas (including offices) of the University campus and address any safety concerns and infractions of the Alberta Fire Code.
Common concerns previously cited by LFD previously include:
- Fire doors being propped open.
- Storage of materials close to ceiling (minimum clearance from sprinkler heads and smoke and heat detectors is 18" ),
- Misuse of electrical cords and frayed/damaged electrical cords which is a serious fire hazard,
- Poor housekeeping,
- Access to fire extinguishers blocked by storage of other materials,
- Compressed gas cylinders not being properly secured,
- Egress in corridors and exits being blocked by articles stored in the area
- Coverage of combustibles on walls exceeding 20% of the wall surface which can contribute to fire spread.
- Improper storage of chemicals.
- Ceiling tiles not being put back into place which may contribute to fire/smoke spread.
Please do your part and conduct a review of your respective area(s) to ensure that any fire hazards are attended to. The University takes the safety of all within its campus community seriously and values your attention to this.
If you have any questions, please contact Safety Services.
WORKING TOGETHER TO KEEP OUR CAMPUS SAFE!