Stages 1 & 2
Stages 1 & 2 provides wage support to universities and health research institutions for up to 12 weeks to avert layoffs of research personnel. The support covered up to 75% of research personnel salaries funded through non-governmental sources incurred between March 15 and August 29, to a maximum of $847 per week per employee. Non-governmental sources are defined as funding sources including industry, foundations, not-for-profit, philanthropic funds, and international agencies. Eligibility for this funding was determined based on the extent to which research activities linked to non-governmental funding have been negatively impacted by COVID-19. Any reduced productivity or interruptions to employment (complete or partial) are considered negative impacts, including restriction of campus workspaces, suspension of funding, absences to care for family members, lack of access to research participants, increased risk related to COVID-19, etc.
Applications for Stage 1 and 2 funding are no longer being accepted.
CRCEF Stage 4 extends the maximum duration of wage/salary/stipend support for eligible research personnel in Stages 1 & 2 from 12 weeks to 24 weeks.
As with Stage 1, Stage 4 funds will be used exclusively for wage support for research personnel (staff, postdocs, graduate and undergraduate students) whose salaries/stipends were adversely affected by COVID-19 and who were paid in part or in whole by non-governmental sources. The eligibility period for wage support remains the same as it was in Stages 1 and 2: From March 15th, 2020 to August 29th, 2020.
New salaries for which support was not requested in Stages 1 and 2 can be supported in Stage 4. Researchers that submitted a Stage 1 request will be contacted directly by ORIS.
Please note the following:
- Non-governmental sources are defined as funding sources from industry, foundations, not-for-profit, philanthropic funds, and international agencies.
- CRCEF will fund up to 75% of the employee’s wage normally supported by non-governmental sources, to a maximum of $847 per week for up to 24 weeks (consecutive or broken up over the eligibility period) per individual, incurred within the eligibility period of March 15, 2020, to August 29, 2020.
- Please ensure the employee has not received CERB or CESB funding for the time period you are claiming. An employee cannot claim CERB or CESB and be covered by this funding. Fraudulent claims will result in the employee having to pay back the CERB or CESB.
Do not apply if:
- Your employees were(are) paid through funding from federal, provincial or municipal governments
- You are already covered through other federal programs, including COVID-19 relief programs
- Your students and/or trainees are paid via scholarship
Faculty members that have incurred eligible Stage 4 expenses are invited to submit an application. Please submit one form per employee. Applications are due November 17, 2020.