Following engagement with the research community over the past year, the three federal granting councils (CIHR, NSERC, SSHRC) invite institutions, associations, organizations and individuals to comment on a draft policy on a draft Tri-Agency Research Data Management Policy and its usefulness in advancing data management practices in Canada. While all feedback is welcome, the agencies are specifically interested in comments on:
- the impact of the suggested requirements (in section 3) for researchers, research communities and research institutions;
- the ability of institutions and researchers to comply with those requirements;
- the extent to which researchers and disciplinary communities are adopting data management best practices, including the use of data management plans;
- the extent to which institutions are developing data management strategies, and what they have learned in doing so; and
- the ideal timeline for implementing the policy.
The agencies also welcome feedback on the implications of this policy for indigenous research and knowledge sharing.
The agencies have also developed a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) resource that seeks to advance common understandings of “data,” “research data” and “research data management,” provides background on tri-agency research data management policy development, and includes guidance on complying with the proposed requirements and links to supporting resources.
The agencies invite feedback on the FAQs, and specifically welcome comments on:
- the clarity and accuracy of the definitions in section 1;
- the usefulness of the guidance in section 3; and
- whether any additional questions and resources should be included.
The agencies will be accepting feedback on the draft policy until August 31, 2018. Feedback can be sent electronically to any of the following email addresses, and respondents are invited to also please copy firstname.lastname@example.org on their submission to the relevant granting council email address:
Hector MacIntyre | email@example.com | (403) 317-2869 | http://www.science.gc.ca/eic/site/063.nsf/eng/h_547652FB.html