Under the Alberta Safety Codes Act, the LFD has the authority to complete an inspection of any and all areas (including offices) of the University campus and address any safety concerns and infractions of the Alberta Fire Code.
Some concerns cited by LFD previously include:
1. Fire doors being propped open.
2. Storage of materials within the clearance area of sprinklers, smoke and heat detectors. A minimum clearance of 18” below the level of the sprinkler head must be maintained for it to work properly.
3. Misuse of electrical cords and frayed/damaged electrical cords which is a serious fire hazard.
4. Poor housekeeping.
5. Access to fire extinguishers blocked by storage of other materials.
6. Compressed gas cylinders not being properly secured by chains.
7. Egress in corridors and exits being blocked by articles stored in the area.
8. Coverage of combustibles on walls exceeding 20% of the wall surface which can contribute to fire spread.
9. Improper storage of chemicals.
10. Ceiling tiles damaged or not being put back into place which may contribute to fire/smoke spread.
If you wish to be in attendance during the inspection of your area, contact email@example.com by October 16, 2020 so that scheduling arrangements can be made.