Heritage Youth Researcher
Although we can’t predict how long the COVID-19 crisis will last and what impact it might have on our operations this summer, we’re hoping HYRS will run this summer and are still planning on that basis. Please check back for updates. Applications will be accepted online. References can also be submitted online via the Community Referee Form and the Teacher Referee Form. Applications and references must all be submitted by April 30, 2020.
What is HYRS?
HYRS is the Heritage Youth Researcher Summer Program. This six-week consecutive program runs annually, at the University of Alberta, the University of Calgary, and at the University of Lethbridge.
During this program, students will:
- Participate in hands-on work with Alberta Innovates-funded research groups at the University of Lethbridge
- Join a team of PhD, Master and Bachelor students
- Work on multidisciplinary projects which may include:
- healthcare policy
- molecular imaging
- recreational therapy
- Work in areas on the cutting edge of science not yet in textbooks
However, HYRS is much more than laboratory research! Additional activities include:
- Guest speakers talk about their careers in research
- Field trips to research facilities
- HYRS Showcase Night where students invite their parents, mentors, and members of the public to view their research in a symposium setting at the U of L
- Explore an Alberta university campus
- Meet other students with similar interests
Listen to what past students had to say about their uLethbridge HYRS experience.