What qualifications do students need?
- At least an 85% standing in each of Math 20-1 or 20-2, Bio 20, and one other grade 11 science (grade 12 courses will not be considered for eligibility to the HYRS Program)
- An essay demonstrating an interest in biomedical and health research
- Three letters in support of your application. Two letters must be reference forms completed by science teachers (or one science teacher and one math teacher) and another letter from a community member who is not related to you and who is outside of your high school
- Successful applicants must give a presentation about their HYRS experiences to a grade 11 high school science class after their HYRS experience
- A willingness to commit to a continuous six-week period in the summer; there will be no modification of the schedule to allow for student vacations, participation in competitions, or to collect awards
How much does HYRS cost?
There is no charge to HYRS students.
- HYRS students will be paid by a $2,500 (approximate figure) award
All students will be responsible for meals, travel and entertainment costs
When is the deadline for applications?
The application deadline for this summer’s program is April 24, 2020. The application form will be available shortly.
HYRS Applications are judged by a committee composed of science teachers from the Science Council of Alberta and researchers.
Mail (or drop off) your application to this address:
University of Lethbridge HYRS Program
Alberta Water and Environmental Science Building
4401 University Drive West
Lethbridge, Alberta, T1K 3M4