Coulson was a very small, newly established logging settlement in 1877. The sawmill here was supplied by cottonwood logs floated down the Yellowstone River. P.W. McAdow, the owner of the mill, had ten men working for him as loggers farther upriver. After burning two houses and stealing three horses here, the Nez Perce raiders turned back to join the main column on Canyon Creek.