2019 Summer Temporary Employment Program (STEP)
STEP is a 4 - 16 week wage subsidy program that provides funding to eligible Alberta employers to hire high school or post-secondary students into summer jobs from May to August. Summer positions created through STEP provide students with the opportunity to build meaningful work experience, increase their skills and workplace insight and help prepare them for the future.
A standardized wage subsidy of $7.00/hour to a maximum of 37.5 hours/week will be provided to approved applicants.
- Federal or provincial governments, including legislative assembly and constituency offices
- Political parties and organizations that are affiliated with a party or group with a political mandate
- Medium (50 - 499 employees) and large (500+ employees) sized businesses
- Franchises and corporately-owned chains
- Publicly funded organizations including but not limited to emergency services (e.g. police, firefighters, etc.) and health care providers (e.g. hospitals, long-term care facilities, etc.)
- Provincial or federal Crown agencies, boards, and commissions or corporations
- At least 15 years of age
- A Canadian citizen, a permanent resident, or protected person under the Canadian Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and legally entitled to work and study in Canada.
- International students and Temporary Foreign Workers are not eligible for STEP.
- Resides and/or attends school in Alberta with an Alberta address
- Returning to high school or a post-secondary institution no later than November 1.
- Must be enrolled in a program that will result in a Certificate, Diploma, or Degree. Technical training for Apprenticeship is not eligible
- Is available for full-time summer employment
- Participates in only one STEP position during the summer
- Not currently employed in the organization
- Not immediately related to the owners or staff responsible for hiring in the organization
Check the STEP Guidelines for complete criteria. Application forms are found here.
Additional information can be found on the Government’s website or by contacting Helena Lang (firstname.lastname@example.org). To apply please forward the required information as outlined in the "Form A" on the STEP website to Human Resources no later than TBA, in order to include the proposed STEP position in the University’s application.