September 19, 2019
TO: Administrative Professional Officers (APOs)
Exempt Support Staff (ESS)
Thank you for your hard work on behalf of the University this past year. Each year brings new challenges, as well as dealing with the usual pressures and demands, and the Board of Governors would like to extend their appreciation for your contributions.
As you are aware, the Provincial Government had implemented a restraint on salaries for all non-bargaining employees from April 1, 2016 to September 30, 2019 to maintain base salaries for non-bargaining unit staff at current levels, without any grid movement. On September 13, 2019 the Board received notice that the Provincial Government’s salary restraint will continue until December 31, 2019 (see attached). Please note that the University has reviewed all non-bargaining employees’ salaries and adjusted for any salary inversion or compression issues that may have existed.
Recognizing that the affected employee groups are not receiving any compensation increases, the University will continue to offer Personal Days to the affected employees for the period of October 1, 2019 to June 30, 2020. For the period October 1, 2019 to June 30, 2020, non-bargaining employees will receive 4.0 personal days.
These Personal Days reflect the priority of Work-Life Balance in the People Plan and can be used by non-bargaining employees when they desire a day off to perhaps extend a vacation, create a long weekend or to take an afternoon to play golf or go for a bike ride. However you choose to use your Personal Days, please work with your supervisor regarding scheduling to ensure that you use and enjoy them! You can reference the specifics of the Personal Days on the University's website. The University's BANNER Human Resources system will keep track of your personal days.
Please note that the University will also continue to offer the Voluntary Personal Leave Plan in 2019-20 to those employees who wish to participate in this program.
The University recognizes and appreciates the valuable contributions that you provide. If there are any questions about Personal Days, please contact Ariane Tennant, Associate Vice-President (Human Resources), or your Senior Human Resources Consultant.
Vice-President (Finance & Administration)
Guidelines for the use of Personal Days for Non-Bargaining Employees:
1. Personal Days are to be taken at a time mutually agreed on by the employee and their supervisor to ensure that departmental operational needs are still being met. Supervisors are asked to be flexible to ensure that employees have the opportunity to take the Personal Days.
2. Supervisors are encouraged to proactively work with employees in the scheduling of the Personal Days in such a way that the ability of employees to accomplish their work goals are not adversely affected by the taking of the Personal Days.
3. To support employees’ well-being and work-life balance, all employees are encouraged and enabled to take their earned vacation time on an annual basis.
4. Personal days may be taken prior to using annual vacation entitlement.
5. Personal days cannot carryover to future years and must be used in the time period during which they are allocated. Personal Days not taken during the time period are forfeited.
6. Employees will not receive pay in lieu of unused Personal Days.
7. Personal days will be entered into and tracked by the BANNER Human Resources Information System (HRIS).
8. Personal Days are prorated based on the full-time equivalent (FTE) of the employee's position and the months worked during the year. Personal days are not earned during periods of leave without pay of more than one month in duration.