Managing Your Graduate Journey

Managing Your Graduate Program

Don't just survive, THRIVE! Learn more about THRIVE’s professional development events, workshops, and other resources that compliment your degree. Learn More

Managing Your Graduate Program

If you need to extend your program beyond the maximum time limit for program completion, the Dean of the School of Graduate Studies may approve an extension to your time limit for up to 12 months. To request an extension you must submit a completed and signed Statement of Progress and Standing form with rationale for the request attached, including a detailed time line for program completion. You will be required to withdraw from your program if you do not complete your program within the time limit.

MC, MEd, MN, and MSc (Mgt) programs

If you need to extend your program beyond the maximum time limit for program completion, contact the relevant Faculty office for advice on how to proceed with your extension request and registration.

Applicants who intend to transfer from a University of Lethbridge Master of Arts or Master of Science program to an approved Ph.D. program must satisfy four basic criteria before the University will consider approving the transfer.

See the Graduate Studies Calendar and Course Catalogue for detailed information.

A student wishing to withdraw from the semester must obtain approval from the respective Graduate Program Administrator and then notify the Registrar’s Office and Student Services (ROSS) by submitting a Complete Withdrawal form which can be obtained from the Registrar’s Office and Student Services (ROSS). The date this form is received by the Registrar will be the official withdrawal date for purposes of fee assessment.

A ‘Complete Withdrawal with Cause’ is available only by approval from the respective Graduate Program Administrator.

Failure to comply with this requirement results in the assignment of failing grades and full assessment of fees — see the Graduate Studies Calendar and Course Catalogue, Fees, Sections 8.b. Withdrawals and 8.c. Refunds. Grades are not assigned when a student withdraws.

Students are responsible for ensuring that the Registrar’s Office and Student Services (ROSS) receives the request for withdrawal by the relevant deadline. If a student chooses to mail his or her request for withdrawal, then the Registrar’s Office and Student Services (ROSS) recommends that the student use Registered Mail to guarantee delivery.

Students who withdraw or who are required to withdraw must successfully apply for readmission by the appropriate deadline.

We've got you covered! Learn more about our Graduate Student Support Services. Click Here!

Thesis/Project Preparation

As you continue your graduate journey, keep in mind that thesis-based programs require that students adhere to the formatting and intellectual property regulations. Get a head start by reviewing the School of Graudate Studies Policies & Procedures document and the intellectual property guidelines in preparation for thesis writing.

How to Register

As a graduate student, you need to maintain continuous registration for the 12 months of each academic year, which is comprised of three terms (Summer, Spring, Fall), throughout your program. Review the Current Class List and see relevant program website for details on course offerings.

Award Opportunities

Have a look through our Award Opportunities database for possible awards & scholarships. All internal scholarships are now applied for through the new online scholarship management system. The online application of internal awards can be found under the Student tab on the U of L Bridge, or at

Do you have questions related to your graduate program? Our academic advisors can help!

Graduate Students Association

The University of Lethbridge Graduate Students Association (ULGSA) hosts fun events every month, offers travel and teaching awards and other financial assistance, and offers spaces to work, study, and relax in the study carrels and graduate student lounge. Attend or participate in the annual Meeting of the Minds Conference with oral and poster presentations from graduate students from all across campus!

Teaching Centre

Graduate assistants are actively encouraged to participate in the GA Professional Development Program sessions throughout the fall and spring semesters, to become adequately equipped for these duties and to acquire vital skills for their future academic careers. graduate students who have participated in sessions receive formal recognition of participation in this academic, professional development program via a “Certificate of Participation”.

Co-op Education

Co-op Education is available to students for the Master of Arts (MA) and Master of Science (MSc) programs within the Faculty of Arts and Science and the Dhillon School of Business. The program works to create a partnership between students, the University, and the employer, and offers students an opportunity to learn, cultivate new skills, reflect, and develop professional experience.

My Experience Transcript

The My Experience Transcript (MET) recognizes that commitment and reinforces the value of learning and development that takes place outside the classroom. As an official record of a student’s curricular, co-curricular and extra-curricular experiential learning, the MET is a supplement to the academic transcript that will help reflect a student’s complete University experience.