External Examiner Reimbursement Policy
January 26, 2017
External Examiner’s will be reimbursed for eligible expenses related to travel for a thesis defence, when original, itemized receipts are submitted to the School of Graduate Studies.
Note that the most reasonable and affordable means of travel and accommodation should be sought.
- Airfare: Economy; Integra Air is to be used when flying from and to Edmonton.
- Mileage: To and from the University of Lethbridge (see the University Travel and Business Expense Policy and Procedures).
- Taxis: To and from the airport.
- Car rental: To and from the University (see the University Travel and Business Expense Policy and Procedures).
- Meals: No alcohol (see the University Travel and Business Expense Policy and Procedures). When official itemized receipts are not provided a per diem will be reimbursed. Meals for the day of the defence and one day before or one day following are permitted only.
- Accommodation: Maximum two nights’ accommodation.
- Any travel or meal expenses for other examination committee members.
It is preferred that all examiners be physically present for the Thesis oral examination.
However, in certain extenuating circumstances, it is acceptable—with approval from the Dean of the School of Graduate Studies—that the External Examiner participate remotely. Arrangements for the use of remote access is to be done by the student’s home department. The remote service must be supported by University of Lethbridge IT Services.