The pandemic we are living through has shown the importance of international research collaborations to tackle global challenges. To foster future opportunities for researcher mobility, and help plant the seeds for recovery, Mitacs is pleased to launch a special initiative in cooperation with several of our international partners: a competitive call for applications to our Mitacs Globalink Research Award program in areas of strategic importance for the Canadian and international research communities.
Under the joint supervision of a home and host professor at a university in Canada and an institution affiliated with one of Mitacs’s international partners, senior undergraduate and graduate students as well as postdoctoral fellows included in successful applications will receive a $6,000 research award to conduct a 12- to 24-week research project in the other country.
Although there are limitations on international travel at the present time, research projects selected through this call for applications (decisions are expected in February 2021) will have up to a year to begin (until February 2022), once circumstances allow.
The themes and subthemes are as follows:
1. Artificial Intelligence:
i. Responsible AI
ii. Data governance
iii. Future of work
iv. Innovation and commercialization
2. Quantum Technologies:
i. Quantum computing and simulation
ii. Quantum networking and communication
iii. Quantum sensing and metrology
3. Green Economy:
i. Sustainable industry
ii. Clean technology and materials
iii. Clean energy transition
iv. Healthy environments (includes Arctic research, oceans, sustainable agriculture and smart cities)
4. Pandemic Preparedness:
i. Pandemic preparedness and AI
ii. Social impact policy making
iii. Societal response to Covid-19 pandemic
iv. One Health
- FT program
- Canadian/PR/International students
- Cannot undertake a research project at an institution where they have previously completed a degree
- For participants travelling from Canada: cannot undertake a research project in a country where they hold citizenship (unless they are a permanent resident or citizen of Canada)
- Must be the legal age of majority in Canada (18 years of age or older)
- Must meet travel requirements for their intended destination, including visa and/or immigration requirements and associated documentation
- Cannot hold more than one Globalink Research Award per academic lifetime
- Cannot have previously held a Mitacs-JSPS Summer Program award
The deadline for applications is December 1, 2020, 5:00 PT
For more information and application process, please click here.