Students in the 40-course (120.0 credit hours) Bachelor of Arts (BA), Bachelor of Science (BSc), or Bachelor of Arts and Science (BASc) program may declare a minor in Japanese, to be completed in addition to their major.
The opportunity to declare a minor in Japanese is available for students in the BA, BSc, or BASc program, in addition to the following majors:
- Single discipline majors, including language majors,
- General Major in the Humanities,
- General Major in the Sciences,
- General Major in the Social Sciences,
- Multidisciplinary majors.
Note: The minor in Japanese is not available to students in the Combined Degrees programs (i.e., BA/BEd, BA/BMgt, BSc/BEd, BSc/BMgt), Post-Diploma programs, or the BA, BSc, or BASc as second degree.
Note: Students choosing to complete the minor in Japanese with the BASc degree program may need to complete more than the minimum 40 courses for the BASc depending on the choice of majors.
For the minor in Japanese, students must complete a minimum of six courses (18.0 credit hours).
- A minimum of four Japanese (JPNS) courses (12.0 credit hours) for which the language of instruction is Japanese, including a minimum of one Japanese course (3.0 credit hours) at the 3000 level.
Note: No more than one Independent Study (Japanese 2990, Japanese 3990, Japanese 4990) or Applied Studies (Japanese 2980, Japanese 3980, Japanese 4980) may be counted towards the minor.
Note: Japanese 2850, Japanese 3850, or Japanese 4850 may be included with permission of the Department of Modern Languages & Linguistics.
- Up to two courses from the following list, for which the language of instruction is English, may be counted among the six courses required for the minor in Japanese:
- Interdisciplinary Studies 2008 - Japan and the Japanese (Series)
- Interdisciplinary Studies 2600 - Study Tour of Japan
- Offerings in Modern Languages 2850, Modern Languages 3850, or Modern Languages 4850 with a focus on Japanese language or culture may be included, with permission of the Department of Modern Languages
Note: Students may not double count courses required for the minor in Japanese in fulfilling requirements for their major. The six courses comprising the minor must be distinct from any such major requirements.
For students who complete the required six courses, the minor in Japanese will be acknowledged on the official transcript.