The University of Lethbridge has two student writing competitions, Striking Prose and the Play Right Prize. These competitions are generously supported by U of L alumnus, Terry Whitehead.
The Striking Prose competition is meant to encourage excellence and development in student short story writing.
Both competitions are open to ALL U of L undergraduate students in good standing at the competition closing date. One entry per student. Student group entries are welcome. This competition will be offered every alternate year.
For more information, please contact: Jay Gamble
Striking Prose Competition
- Entry should be no more than 6,000 words
- Include a cover page with your name, story title and your contact information (phone number and e-mail address). The story itself should only have the title of the work on the first page.
- Complete the Submission Form. This must be completed in full and submitted with your entry.
- Submission deadline: submit entry in hard copy to Bev Garnett (A812) by 4:00 p.m. on January 9, 2019
- First prize $1,500, second prize $750, and third prize $250 for each competition
- A public reading of the first place winners at the University of Lethbridge - Thursday, March 21, 2019
- Winning play receives dramaturgical support from a member of the adjudicators
- Winning story receives writing support and advice from the adjudicators