was the first modern settlement in the Crowsnest Pass.
was called the "Tenth Siding" once the railroad went through.
community was later renamed "The Springs"
then the name was changed one last time.
was named in honour of
Hon. A.G. Blairmore, Minister of Railways.
long litigation ensued over the ownership of the townsite
the CPR station agent (H.E. Lyon) and
section foreman (Felix Montalbetti) both built homes in 1899.
legal difficulties resulted in suppression of the towns growth
a number of years. The claims were finally settled in 1907.
Development - Mining/Logging
all the communities of the Crowsnest Pass,
initial economic foundation was
and coal although the coal properties surrounding the village
not developed until 1907.
Note: It was also in this year that
local land owner (Joe Little)
50 acres to the village for use as a cemetery
the strict provision that miners were to have free burials!
1945 strip mining had began.
1958 the Greenhill Mine closed down
the workers found work in a then
Development - General
1905 there were many professionals
and working in the village of Blairmore,
doctors, barristers, land surveyor,
estate and insurance agents.
town also had a local paper.
are excellent examples of the draw
Blairmore had on the entire Crowsnest Pass area.)
in 1905 the first specimen of zinc bullion was turned out
the Frank Smelter
the plans were in the works for The Pass' first opera house.
thereafter plans were announced for the expansion of
Lethbridge Brewery into Blairmore.
and National Pride
first civic holiday was held on September 2, 1905,
day Alberta became a province.
was the site for the first circus in the area.
organizers went all out.
races were actually run on Main Street!
1909 the miners took a one day holiday to celebrate
amendment to the Coal Mines Act.
September 29, 1911 Blairmore was incorporated as a town.
its incorporation came a long list of financial difficulties
associated with the fledgling towns growing pains.
below for some of the other difficulties faced.
Note: In 1921 the town purchased a building
be used as office, jail, kitchen and fire hall!
one ever claimed the West wasn't interesting!
with so many of the communities of The Pass,
was no stranger to adversity.
1906 a fire devastated almost an entire block on Main Street.
May of 1923 a devastating flood runs the Crowsnest
River over its banks resulting in property damage
lost coal sales totaling a quarter of a million dollars.
same year saw a the failure of the Home Bank
which the School District had held most of its working capital.
1925 the depression hit and teachers were asked
take a one-half cut in salary.
towns secretary requested a 4-month leave of absence
visit his homeland.
investigation, started shortly after his departure uncovered
shortage of $5,000.00.
secretary was returned from England to face the music.
fraudulent acts were perpetrated.
1933 the mine union representatives swept into office.
after the elections
Chief of Police, Electrician and Fire Chief were dismissed.
audit was done.
resulted in the dismissal of the Secretary-Treasurer.
month's end the town had a completely new organization.
Notes: In 1934 the town seized a washing machine
satisfy a power and water bill!
passed a motion saying that only women on relief
get free coal
as long as there was "free coal" to be gleaned
the "slag" piles.
1935 the Chief of Police was arrested
charges of extortion, found guilty and sentenced.
in 1935 "Sporting Houses" were prohibited by the town.
top of page.