Campus Life

Lasting Images with Fred Greene

Fred Greene grew up in Calgary, Alta. and spent the first 20 years of his career as a conservator with organizations including the International Center for the Study of the Preservation and Restoration of Cultural Property (ICCROM), the Centro di Conservazione Archeologica (Italy) and the Conservation Department at the Glenbow Museum in Calgary.

Fred Greene will now have more time to devote to his many other passions, such as playing the guitar.

Greene travelled extensively, working on ancient sites and with collections of cultural objects throughout the Mediterranean, Middle East, Africa and the former Soviet Union. Upon settling in Lethbridge, Greene completed his Bachelor of Arts at the University of Lethbridge in 1998, and began working as the administrative manager of the U of L Art Gallery the following year.

Greene’s focus, energy and vast conservation knowledge have increased the quality of care and management of the University’s art collection, and he was instrumental in the development of the online database that allows digital access to nearly 14,000 collection artworks. Greene is an enthusiastic ambassador for the Art Gallery and the University as a whole, and has been dedicated to supporting students’ interdisciplinary education and interaction with works of art. When Greene retires on Sept. 18, people across campus will miss his cheerful greetings in the halls, stories of exotic locales and discussions of the best eateries in Rome.

Please join the staff of the Art Gallery for Coffee’s On Fred – a coffee break retirement celebration, 9 to 11 a.m., Wednesday, Sept. 18 in the University Theatre Lobby (W500). A Salute to Fred begins at 9:45 a.m.

Fred's Art Collection Favourites:

John C. Forbes, Still Life with Melons, 1900. From the University of Lethbridge Art Collection; Purchased in 1984 with funds provided by the Alberta Endowment Fund.

Ronald J. Spickett, Horses in Motion (a), 1967. From the University of Lethbridge Art Collection; Gift of Canaccord Capital Corporation, 1995.