Students earn juried awards
The U of L Gallery was alive with colour and artwork in a wide variety of media including video, textiles, wood, cardboard, photography, paint and found objects during the Annual Student Juried Exhibition.
This year’s guest juror, Jen Budney, associate curator at the Mendel Art Gallery in Saskatoon, Sask., spent a week on campus selecting work in the exhibition. This involved spending numerous hours reviewing more than 100 submissions and visiting student studios.
Budney says she was impressed with the variety of media, subject matter and techniques the students were exploring. She also enjoyed having the opportunity to talk with students and see their work.
The exhibition provides students with the professional experience of having their work judged purely on its own merit by someone who knows nothing about them, according to
Dr. Josephine Mills, director/curator of the U of L Art Gallery.
Following is a list of the award winners from the Annual Student Juried Exhibition.
• Southern Alberta Art Gallery Award - Kazumi Marthiensen
• U of L Students’ Union Award - Karen Davis
• David Lanier Memorial Award (Presented for photography and photo-based work, in memory of David Lanier, by his parents, Ike and Diana Lanier) - Andrea True Joy Fox
• Art Society Award - Valerie Stanzl
• Art History/Museum Studies Awards - Laura Brown and April Matisz
• Combined Faculty/ Staff Art Dept & Art Gallery Award - Jason Jessen
• U of L Art Gallery Award - April Matisz
• Art Gallery Poster Award - Yan Luo
• The Rahn-Campbell Digital Art Award - Brandon Wallis
The Friederike and Carl Granzow Award - Kari-Leigh Bettger
• Art Department Award - Yan Luo
• Faculty of Fine Arts Award - Amornthep Jaidee