Don't let fast food slow you down
MONTHLY FOOD FOR THOUGHT TO KEEP YOU HEALTHY ALL YEAR LONG
When eating out a few small changes can make a big difference around your waist.
• Order sauces or dressings on the side and use sparingly
• Switch from iced tea and pop to milk or water
• Be menu lingo savvy; order grilled, broiled, baked or steamed items
• Order small or kids sized items
• Share high calorie foods with a friend or take half home for another day
• Ask the restaurant for their nutrition information. This is often posted on their web site and you can plan ahead what you are going to order to ensure you make a smart choice.
But do these changes really make a difference? Let’s compare.
• Small fries (210 calories) instead of a large fries (610 calories) and save 400 calories!
• A small hamburger (280 calories) instead of a large hamburger (590 calories) and save 310 calories!
• A non-fat latte and hold the whip cream (500 ml/160 calories) instead of a full fat latte with whipping cream (500 ml /400 calories) and save 240 calories!
• 1% chocolate milk (250 ml /158 calories) instead of a bottle of pop (591 ml /260 calories) and save 102 calories!
• A baked potato with low fat sour cream (187 calories) instead of fries (450 calories) and save 263 calories!
• Skip the special sauce, mayonnaise or bacon and save 20-180 calories!
DID YOU KNOW
By eating 100-300 calories less per day you could lose 10 to 30 pounds in a year? It all comes down to smart choices and small changes.
Diane Britton is available for individual nutrition consultations at the University Health Centre (403-329-2484).