Academic Advising

Advising (or Student Program Services) offices are available to assist you with program planning. Academic advisors are typically available for walk-in and appointment times. You may consult with an advisor regarding academic regulations, course selection, and program planning. If you are a newly admitted high school student, you may also contact Recruitment and Student Life with general questions.

When to See an Academic Advisor

You should see an academic advisor after you have done everything you can to find the answer on your own using the Calendar, your program planning guide, and the University of Lethbridge website. It may be difficult to consult with an academic advisor at certain times of the year because of the large number of students who, like you, have questions for an advisor.

You are not required to obtain an academic advisor’s signature before you register—you are responsible for your own registration. However, an advisor’s signature is required in the following situations:

To register into an applied study, independent study, undergraduate thesis course, visiting student placeholder, or technical studies semester placeholder
To register in a course closed to web registration
To change your program of study, and, in some cases, to change your major (see “Changing Your Program”)
Academic Standards

The academic standards define the minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) required for you to be in good standing for the number of courses you have completed. The number of courses you have completed includes both transfer and University of Lethbridge courses (graded, Pass/Fail, Credit/Non-Credit). The GPA is calculated only on graded University of Lethbridge courses (courses in which you have received a letter grade on the scale A+ to F). To be in good standing, you must maintain the following minimum cumulative GPA:

Number of completed courses*
(University of Lethbridge)
1 - 10
11 - 20
21 - 40

* includes transfer courses

This standard must be met or you will be put on academic probation and will be subject to certain restrictions dependent on your Faculty/School. Note that some Faculties/Schools may require a higher level of performance than the GPA listed above. See “Academic Standards” on page 73 of the 2014/2015 UofL Calendar for more information.

Faculty of Arts and Science: Academic Standards

In Part 7 - Faculty of Arts and Science of the 2014/2015 Calendar, you will find the specific academic standards which apply to all students in the Faculty of Arts and Science.

When you have obtained your grades and cumulative GPA for this semester on the Bridge, check the academic standards in the Calendar to determine your academic standing. If your grade point average places you on academic probation, you may not register in more than four courses (12.0 credit hours) so you should make any adjustment necessary to your registration. You should also contact an academic advisor as soon as possible.

If you are placed on probation by the Faculty of Arts and Science, you will be sent an official letter with that information. These notifications are usually sent out in January for the Fall semester and in May for the Spring semester, after your final grades are processed and your records have been reviewed.

Repeated Courses

At the University of Lethbridge, a student may repeat a course previously taken.

A grade may be improved by completing either the course or its equivalent.

Students wanting to improve their grade in an Independent Study, Series, or Topics course must repeat the section with the identical title.
Courses that are equivalent are denoted with an ‘Equivalent’ course element in the course description and include courses that have been renamed or renumbered, and topics or series courses that have been regularized.

If a student repeats a course, the grade for each attempt is recorded on the transcript, but only the grade and credit hours for the most recent attempt are computed in the GPA.

Students may not have grades and credit hours for more than one attempt calculated in the GPA. Students who have repeated a course must submit a Repeated Course Form (available at the Registrar’s Office and Student Services [ROSS]).

A student may not use a Credit/Non-Credit designation to replace a previously earned grade.

See “Repeat of a Course” on page 72 of the 2014/2015 UofL Calendar.

Credit/Non-Credit (Cr/NC)

If you want to take a course in a different field, but you’re worried that you might not do as well as you would like, you can designate the course as Credit/Non-Credit.

Think of Credit/Non-Credit as the University’s equivalent of auto insurance. If something goes wrong, your grade point average (GPA) is protected. When you designate a course as Credit/Non-Credit, you essentially have insured your GPA because you will not receive a letter grade in the course unless you receive a “C” or higher. If you get less than a “C” but still pass the course, then a “Cr” (Credit) will appear on your transcript. You still get credit for the course in your degree program, but a “Cr” does not bring down your GPA. If you fail the course, then “NC” (No Credit) will appear on your transcript. This indicates that you did not receive credit for the course, but a “NC” also will not bring down your GPA.

You may designate a course as Credit/Non-Credit at the Registrar’s Office and Student Services (ROSS) between September 10 - October 1 for Fall 2014. After that time, the designation is not available.

Other limitations include the following:

You cannot use Cr/NC for courses in your major.
Only two courses per semester may be designated as Cr/NC.
Depending on your program, there is a limit on the total number of Cr/NC designations you can use.
To be eligible for undergraduate scholarships you must have completed a minimum of eight graded semester courses (24.0 credit hours). Courses that receive a “Cr” or “NC” designation are not counted toward this minimum.
Students in transfer programs or who plan to further their schooling at other institutions should consider the Cr/NC option carefully. Other institutions may recognize “Cr” as “D” and “NC” as “F.”
Please see page 72 of the 2014/2015 UofL Calendar for other course exclusions.