University Fleet Automobile

The University maintains a fleet of vehicles for those positions where the daily use of a vehicle is required in the performance of the position duties. These vehicles are predominantly used by Facilities, IT & Telecommunications and Housing staff. Only those who have completed the University’s driver Agreement and have provided authorization for a motor vehicle abstract to be provided are permitted to operate the a University owned vehicle.

What is covered?

Third Party Liability: Provides coverage for the legal responsibility to others arising from an automobile accident involving a licensed vehicle which is owned or leased (long term lease) by the University of Lethbridge which has resulted in death, injury to persons or damage to their property.

Accidents Benefits: Provides coverage to the University employee or certain other persons injured and killed in an automobile accident regardless of who is at fault.

Physical Loss or Damage to Insured Auto: Not all vehicles are insured for physical damage. For those vehicles that have this coverage. For those vehicles that are covered for physical damage they are insured on an “all” perils basis encompassing both collision and comprehensive coverage subject to a $2,500 internal deductible.

Loss of Use: If this coverage is required on a specific vehicle which provides a replacement vehicle in the event of an insured loss please contact Campus Safety, Insurance & Risk Services. This can be purchased for an additional premium.

What is excluded? (This is not a complete list)

Marine Use–Loss or damage occurring whilst the vehicle is being used in or upon water.

Non-owned automobile

Personal automobile (i.e. employee vehicle, volunteer's vehicle)

Fines, tickets

Vehicles operated under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drugs

Operating a vehicle while license is suspended.

For additional information as to what is and is not insured under the fleet automobile program please consult with Campus Safety, Insurance & Risk Services.