Transit Insurance

What is covered?

  • Property that is either owned by the University or for which the University has agreed to accept responsibility through a written contract (i.e. leased/loaned equipment), while the property is in-transit to or from the University.
  • $1 million maximum value while outside of Canada and the U.S.
  • The coverage term begins when the University agrees to accept responsibility.  For example most purchases are done Carriage Paid To (CPT) which means that the University only accepts responsibility for them once they have arrived at our property. 
  • Waterborne Shipments (not over the ocean): Inland water and coastal shipments are included in the University's policy.  All other waterborne shipments are EXCLUDED and departments are required to have them insured by the transportation service provider.
  • Airborne Shipments are covered if by regularly scheduled passenger airlines or air freight carriers.


$25,000 for university property while in transit (subject to exclusions). An internal self-insurance deductible pays the first $2,500 and is assessed to the department or research account as applicable. 

What is not covered?

  • Waterborne shipments over the ocean
  • Dangerous Goods
  • Goods shipped by mail
  • Mysterious Disappearance
  • Institute chemical, biological samples, bio-chemical, electromagnetic weapons and cyber attack
  • Goods damaged from improper or inadequate packing.

The above is a brief summary of the property in transit insurance program and it does not include all the terms, conditions and exclusions as noted within the insurance policy.  Campus Safety, Insurance & Risk Services should be contacted to discuss the insurance requirements for any shipment of goods that has significant value.


 Image preview