Third Party Insurance Requirements

Third parties such as vendors, consultants, contractors, subcontractors, service providers, tenants, external parties hosting conferences and other events are required to provide proof of insurance to demonstrate compliance with the insurance requirements specified in contracts or agreements. 

Individuals or groups that seek to use University facilities or premises for their own activities that are not sanctioned or sponsored by the University, are also required to provide proof of insurance which demonstrates compliance with the insurance requirements specified in contracts or agreements.  These activities include but are not limited to: various social, cultural and intellectual activities such as lectures, sports activities, field rentals, conferences, films, shows, seminars, workshops, trade shows and meetings.   

1. Generally, the minimum insurance requirements for low risk activities at the University by way of a certificate of insurance are as follows:

a) Commercial General Liability with limits of not less than $2,000,000 per occurrence covering off bodily injury and property damage, products and completed operations, advertising and personal injury & non-owned automobile liability with 30 days cancellation or material change notice; and 

b) adding the University of Lethbridge as an additional insured. Additional insured is in relation to the operations and activities of the vendor.

b) Automobile Liability (where applicable) of limits of not less than $2,000,000 (light commercial) or $5,000,000 (heavy commercial) third party liability per occurrence with 15 days notice of cancellation or material change; and

c) Other insurance as may be required by the University (this may vary dependant on scope of event, associated activities and contractual language).

2. Vendors & Contractors that do not have insurance can procure special event insurance from many agencies/brokerages within the City, Province or on-line through The choice of agency or broker is at the discretion of the vendor/contractor and is satisfactory so long as the agency is recognized and licenced to transact business in the Province of Alberta.

3. Consultants and contractors performing work at or on behalf of the University are required to carry higher limits.  Campus Safety, Insurance & Risk Services should be consulted prior to the commencement of the work to ensure the requisite type of insurance with adequate limits of insurance is in place.  

4. When the University requests proof of insurance the CERTIFICATE HOLDER is as follows:

The Governors of the University of Lethbridge

4401 University Drive W.

Lethbridge, AB T1K 3M4

5. CAMPUS SAFETY, INSURANCE & RISK SERVICES is responsible for maintaining records for all certificates of insurance. CERTIFICATES MAY BE SENT VIA INTERNAL CAMPUS MAIL for inclusion in the central respoitory or mailed to:

University of Lethbridge, Campus Safety, Insurance & Risk

L911, Library Information Network Centre

4401 University Drive W

Lethbridge, AB T1K 3M4