University of Lethbridge Travel Fund (ULTF)
The University of Lethbridge Travel Fund (ULTF) has been established by the University of Lethbridge Board of Governors to reimburse expenses incurred by successful applicants for travel to meetings of learned societies, professional associations or similar groups, in accordance with Article 30 of the ULFA Handbook. The Travel Committee is a standing committee of the General Faculties Council and has delegated responsibility from GFC for the disposition of the travel funds in accordance with GFC's Travel Fund Procedures. Additional information on the governance of this committee, including current membership, is available online from the University Secretariat. The full GFC Travel Fund Procedures are available online here.
Please note that the Travel Committee has recently submitted some proposed changes to the procedures which are expected to come before GFC in early fall.
|Travel Year||July 1 to June 30|
|TRAVEL PERIOD||APPLICATION DEADLINE|
|1||JULY 1 TO SEPTEMBER 30||11:59 p.m. MT June 1|
|2||OCTOBER 1 TO DECEMBER 31||11:59 p.m. MT September 1|
|3||JANUARY 1 TO MARCH 31||11:59 p.m. MT December 1|
|4||APRIL 1 TO JUNE 30||11:59 p.m. MT March 1|
|2018-19 Individual Maximum||$1,200|
|Last webform revision||June 13, 2018|
Eligible applicants are Faculty Members, Professional Librarians, Academic Assistants and Instructors. For the purposes of these procedures, persons holding Sessional Lecturer, Adjunct or Emeritus appointments shall not be considered eligible applicants. Travel grants must align with the assigned duties of applicants. Those individuals whose contract is for less than 12 months or have been granted reduced load status may qualify for a reduced amount on a pro-rated basis.
- “Faculty Member” shall mean a member of the academic staff with the rank of Professor, Associate Professor, Assistant Professor, or Lecturer.
- “Professional Librarian” shall mean a member of the academic staff holding an appointment in the University Library or in the Curriculum Laboratory of the Faculty of Education and holding an academic degree.
- “Academic Assistant” shall mean a member of the academic staff holding an appointment with the rank of Academic Assistant.
- “Instructor” shall mean an employee of the academic staff holding an appointment with the rank of Instructor.
Please note that only one grant will be given per paper, poster exhibition or performance. All applicants must provide written notice to the Travel Committee of any changes to existing applications prior to or after being awarded a travel grant. The Travel Committee reserves the right to request a new application.
Late applications will not be accepted, except in the case of newly appointed eligible applicants, whose positions commence after the travel period application deadline. Such exceptions will only be provided if the application is received before the Travel Committee meets to adjudicate the funds for the travel period in question.
How to Apply
- Scroll down to the ULTF webform below. Please note that paper application forms are no longer accepted.
- Complete all three sections of the ULTF webform. Please note that you cannot save drafts or modify the form after you submit.
- Submit the webform. You will receive an email notification acknowledging a complete submission. Note that the time-stamp on the completed submission (not draft) determines the funding order under "first come, first served."
- If successful, submit your expense claim including support documentation to Financial Services according to the instructions you receive. Do not submit claims for locations or activities other than those for which you were approved.
Applications must be received electronically via the form below by 11:59 p.m. Mountain Time on the date of the submission deadline specified above. Deadlines falling on a weekend or holiday do not shift to the following business day. Any applications submitted after the deadline will be considered late. Late applications will only be accepted in the case of newly appointed applicants whose positions commence after the travel period application deadline.
According to §4.1 of the GFC Travel Fund Procedures, the committee "will accept an application from one year before the date of the event until the application deadline for that Travel Period." Under §4 of the procedures, supporting documentation may be submitted after the application itself is received. Applicants are therefore strongly advised to apply as early as possible, up to one year in advance of their travel dates.
It is the responsibility of the applicant to provide the Travel Committee with written proof of such participation (e.g., letter of acceptance of paper, copy of program, etc.) prior to release of the travel grant funds. Normally this is to be included with your expense claim.
The basis for approving applications for travel grants is on a "first-come, first-served" formula applied first to "First Priority" applicants and then, if remaining funds are available, to "Second Priority" applicants:
First Priority (§4.2.1 of GFC Travel Fund Procedures)
Eligible applicants taking an active part in the dissemination of research or artistic works (e.g. the presentation of papers or posters at professional meetings, conferences, or workshops; the presentation of artistic performances or exhibitions; and acting as an invited discussant at a professional meeting, conference, or workshop).
Second Priority (§4.2.2 of GFC Travel Fund Procedures)
Eligible applicants not taking an active part in the dissemination of research or artistic work (e.g. attending a professional meeting, conference, or workshop to see others' work presented and to interact with other professionals in one's field of study; and attending an artistic performance or exhibition to see others' work presented and to interact with other professionals in one's field of study).
Therefore the only two selection criteria for ULTF are prioritization according to the preceding categories, and the order in which applications are received for a given travel period beginning with the first priority group.
Please get in touch if you have any questions.