The Chinook Summer Research Awards aim to encourage research and advance training of undergraduate students from all faculties. The program facilitates research advancement by providing students with a suitable research training experience with a University of Lethbridge faculty member who has an ongoing research program.
At the time of application the student must:
- be a full-time student
- have a cumulative GPA of 3.30 or higher (Students with transfer credit from another institution must check eligibility with the Registrar's Office. The cumulative GPA shown on their Bridge account does not include transfer credit and thus, is not accurate for application purposes.)
- have completed at least eight courses at the University of Lethbridge at the conclusion of the semester in which the application is made
- and plan to return to full-time undergraduate studies at the University of Lethbridge in the semester immediately following the award.
For the duration of sixteen weeks and a full-time employment period, this award provides $5,625. A faculty member may supplement the award to increase the value of the stipend.
- the student must link with a faculty member who has an ongoing research program
- the student should discuss the application thoroughly with the faculty member prior to application
- in addition to the Chinook Summer Research Award coversheet (see link below) the student must submit a detailed letter indicating the specific learning objectives associated with the academic program and the student's qualifications (e.g. education, experience, leadership roles, etc.) for this research award
- the above letter should also list the student's previous awards and scholarships
- the collaborating faculty member must submit a one-page abstract of the research program, indicate the work to be designated to the student during the tenure of the award, the work schedule, and indicate that adequate supervision will be provided
- the faculty member must indicate whether he/she will be providing financial support for the student or the project
- the student must provide up-to-date official transcript(s) of their entire academic record (including transfer credit). Copies of U of L transcripts may be forwarded from the Registrar's Office to Susan Entz, Office of Research Services via campus mail. Transcripts from other institutions should be sent to Susan Entz, Office of Research Services, 4401 University Drive West, Lethbridge, AB T1K 3M4. Transcripts may arrive later than the rest of the application package, but please arrange to have them arrive as soon as possible.
- the student must provide a letter of recommendation from a faculty member. This may be the supervising faculty, other U of L faculty, or a faculty member from another post-secondary institution that is known to the applicant. The letter of recommendation must clearly outline the member's assessment of the student's independence, research potential, and academic record.
A complete application package should include:
- up-to-date official transcript(s) - may be sent separate from the application
- a written explanation for any course withdrawals and/or lower transfer credits and/or semesters of study with less than 5 courses
- completed Chinook Summer Research Award Coversheet
- letter from the student
- the work abstract, work assignment, and schedule (from supervisor)
- a letter of recommendation from a faculty member
For information and queries contact Susan Entz, Ethics Officer.
Applications must be submitted by Friday, January 25, 2013 to the Office of Research Services, B610 University Hall.