The appointment process is as follows:
- The Postdoctoral Fellow candidate provides the Faculty Supervisor with:
- Their most recent CV
- Evidence of doctoral degree completion
- The Faculty Supervisor completes and submits the Pre-Appointment Worksheet (plus the candidate's CV and evidence of doctoral degree completion) to the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs (PDA)
- PDA Office prepares and sends the Faculty Supervisor an Offer of Appointment, which needs to be signed by the Faculty Supervisor, Department Chair and Faculty Dean
- The Faculty Supervisor submits two documents to Office of Postdoctoral Affairs for approval:
- Offer of Appointment (signed by Faculty Supervisor, Department Chair, and Faculty Dean) and;
- Completed Payroll Authorization Form - PDF Appointment/Extension (signed by Faculty Supervisor, Department Chair, Faculty Dean, and Financial Services for funding verification)
- PDA Office vets and approves the appointment request and provides the completed Offer of Appointment and Payroll Authorization Form to the Faculty Supervisor
- The Faculty Supervisor makes offer to the postdoc candidate using the Offer of Appointment and Personal Information form
- Postdoctoral scholar candidate accepts the offer and provides the Faculty Supervisor with:
- Signed Offer of Appointment
- Completed Personal Information form
- Completed Direct Deposit form (if applicable/available)
- International PDFs: Need to provide a copy of the biographical page of their passport, as well as a copy of their current work permit and SIN, if available
- The Faculty Supervisor forwards all documents to Postdoctoral Affairs Office
- PDA Office sends the documents to Payroll Services (after work permit is received, if applicable).
A list of the appointment and application forms can be found here.
Faculty supervisors are responsible for assembling a complete application package (consisting of the items identified above). Please allow up to ten business days between submission of the Pre-Appointment Worksheet to the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs and the issue of the Offer of Appointment to the Faculty Supervisor.
Complete appointment packages must be received by Payroll Services on or prior to the monthly cut-off dates set out by the Payroll Calendar for the month specified in the offer letter. Packages not received by Payroll deadlines will be delayed until the following month.
Supervisors who are recruiting an international postdoctoral scholar should contact PDA via email prior to initiating the appointment/extension paperwork.
For information regarding Postdoctoral Fellows' benefits and CPP/EI costs please visit the Extended Health Benefit Coverage page.