Innovation Grants on Probiotics Research

Finding Innovative Solutions to Complex Challenges.

We are committed to accelerating microbiome research to develop new applications, methods, and technology to improve human health. We firmly believe that innovative health solutions can be identified and implemented strategically through cooperation and creative thinking.

This belief has fostered the implementation of our Innovation Program which is dedicated to improving and understanding the mechanisms by which dietary and nutrition intervention with potential probiotics, including beneficial commensals, interact with the host and gastrointestinal microbiota to improve host physiology and function.

Apply Now for our $80,000 Innovation Grant

We’re launching a funding competition in collaboration with Mitacs to stimulate innovative research in the field of probiotics for human health applications. The goals of this scientific research grant are to create a new sustainable partnership with researchers across Canada, to provide training opportunities for students, and to foster breakthrough research.

Who Can Apply

Full-time faculty members from Canadian post-secondary institutions and their affiliated institutions, including hospitals and research institutes. Applicants must be part of an established research program with the capacity to do research on microbiota and its role in human health and disease. The selected grant recipient must sign a “Research Grant Agreement” which will outline the use of funds, results, ownership and intellectual property, and other applicable restrictions.

Areas of Research

Investigators working on understanding the role of probiotic interventions for different types of health indications. Innovative studies on novel indications, animal models and/or novel bacterial isolates are strongly encouraged.

Research cannot use commercial probiotic strains except for those owned by Lallemand Health Solutions or publicly available without commercial use restraints. Novel strains isolated by the researcher or other academic labs are acceptable. Research using Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) developed by the investigators will also be considered.

Grant Information

This grant will support a project for a maximum amount of $ 80,000 CAD (90% of which to be used toward stipend/salaries, contingent on budget justifications) and is provided over a period of minimum one to maximum three years. The time required for the use of funds is to be determined by the applicant.

  • 90% of the total grant fund ($72,000 CAD) must be used as a stipend/salary for hiring researchers (graduate students, postdoctoral researcher). The remaining 10% can be used for consumables.
  • Equipment, principal investigator salaries, and travel expenses are not funded.
  • The possibility of in-kind contribution in the form of hosting the researcher at our labs to perform some aspects of experiments (upon discussion with the researcher) using reagents, equipment, and scientific expertise provided by Lallemand Health Solutions.
  • Only proposals submitted within the competition timeline will be eligible.
Agency Name: 
Rosell Institute
Contact Name: 
Penny D'Agnone
Grant Amount: 
This grant will support a project for a maximum amount of $ 80,000 CAD (90% of which to be used toward stipend/salaries, contingent on budget justifications).
Grant Location: 
External
External Deadline: 
Monday, July 1, 2019
Internal Deadline: 
Monday, June 17, 2019
Grant Type: 
Research
Grant Area: 
Health
Natural Science
Industry
Grant Eligibility: 
Faculty