GlycoNet is a Network of Centres of Excellence (NCE) that focuses on the role of glycans (carbohydrates) in health. Areas of focus are therapeutic proteins & vaccines, antimicrobials and chronic disease, in particular diabetes & obesity, genetic diseases involving errors in glycan metabolism, and cancer. Additional information about Network research can be found at: http://canadianglycomics.ca/
We are currently soliciting letters of intent (LOIs) for projects to form the basis of GlycoNet's Cycle II Renewal application; projects should:
- Primarily address the gaps identified in the GlycoNet research themes and be targeted to the role/use of glycans in reducing the economic burden and/or treatment of infectious diseases, chronic diseases, neurodegenerative diseases, and/or cancer.
- Must have multi-disciplinary teams involving researchers as described above.
- Lead to tangible deliverables by the end of the project, leading to disease treatment or diagnosis.
- Present a knowledge mobilization plan to communicate results to partners and stakeholders.
- Demonstrate a 1:1 financial match with partner funding; at least 50% of the matching funds should be cash. Partner funding must be NCE eligible; in particular, other Canadian Federal funding (e.g., CIHR, NSERC, SSHRC, CFI) is ineligible for matching.
- Provide information on the number and type (i.e. undergraduate, graduate student, PDF, etc.) of expected Highly Qualified Personnel trained each year of the project.
- Demonstrate equity, diversity and inclusion within the project team and its activities.
- List the desired type of professional development training that GlycoNet could provide to HQP, for example, lab rotations, communication and writing skills improvement, etc.
Potential applicants must register by providing the project leader’s name and contact information to Karli Buckle (firstname.lastname@example.org) by July 3, 2018. Upon registration, applicants will receive detailed instructions for completing the LOI in the GlycoNet Forum. The deadline for LOI submission is August 9, 2018 (23:59 PST). LOIs will be peer-reviewed by external reviewers and the GlycoNet Research Management Committee by mid-October 2018.
We encourage you to submit an LOI even if you do not have all of the partnerships and matching in place by the LOI deadline. For successful LOIs, GlycoNet will work with investigators to identify partnerships and the involvement of social scientists to strengthen their application. In this regard, we recently have engaged scientists at the NRC, a number of whom are keen to collaborate with GlycoNet. We are attaching a list of NRC scientists interested in collaborating with GlycoNet investigators on projects of common interest.
Full proposals will be due on February 1, 2019. Successful Collaborative Team proposals will be included in the Network renewal application and funding is anticipated to begin on April 1, 2020, at the start of the Cycle II.
Contact Stacey Leavitt at email@example.com for more information.