This funding opportunity is seeking innovative technologies that reduce GHG emissions and improve the cost competitiveness of bitumen production and processing. Proposals are invited for technology solutions related to in situ or mined oil sands operations, including both new developments and retrofit opportunities for existing operations.
Examples of potential areas of interest for this Call include but are not limited to:
- Alternative steam generation methods for in situ recovery;
- Advanced reservoir technologies including solvent recovery, electromagnetic systems, and hybrid processes;
- Novel surface mining and bitumen ore processing technologies
- Improved bitumen upgrading and partial upgrading processes; and
- Solutions for tailings reductions & management.
All projects supported through this Call must:
- De-risk technology. ERA will not fund projects that address only a financial barrier to deployment.
- Demonstrate a clear and justified value proposition for reducing emissions associated with Alberta’s oil sands industry.
- Involve an oil sands operator or lease holder.
- Represent new and innovative breakthrough solutions with significant GHG benefits. Opportunities related to optimization, energy efficiency improvement, or deployment of existing ‘business as usual’ technologies will not be considered.
- Be tested, piloted, demonstrated, or deployed in Alberta. Consideration may be given to projects outside of Alberta where there is a well-justified value proposition and strong support from end users in Alberta.