University Students and Community Members Prepare to “Chill for Charity”
University Students and Community Members Prepare to “Chill for Charity”

This notice is from the archives of The Notice Board. Information contained in this notice was accurate at the time of publication but may no longer be so.

November 28, 2006

Call it hypothermia for a good cause -- a group of University of Lethbridge Management students are once again hosting the coldest outdoor swim party in Lethbridge to raise funds for the United Way.

The 2006 “Chillin’ for Charity” Polar Bear Swim will take place on Saturday December 2 at Galt Gardens in downtown Lethbridge. Admission is free and the public is welcome to attend. Warm winter clothing is strongly advised. Hot beverages and warming areas will be available.

The event begins at noon with a community leader jump featuring U of L President Bill Cade, Faculty of Management Dean Murray Lindsay, LCC representative Peter Leclaire, Lethbridge East MLA Bridget Pastoor, and United Way volunteers Ron Wiggers and Robin Hood among others. More than 50 students and community members are also scheduled to jump over a three-hour period into a large portable swimming pool filled with cold water – and lots of ice. Prizes will be awarded for people who bring in significant pledges and/or dress in a costume to jump.

The event raised more than $5,000 last year, and the students hope to exceed that tally this year.

Chillin’ for Charity is being organized and operated by the University of Lethbridge JDC West Team, which is working co-operatively with the United Way to raise funds and to complete a community service component of the groups’ entry in the Jeux de Commerce (JDC) West business competition.

JDC West takes place in Vancouver, BC from January 19th to 21st and is the largest student-run business competition in western Canada. The Lethbridge team is a past multiple event winner at this competition, and the Chillin’ for Charity event they organized last year has been adopted as the key event at all participating JDC schools in western Canada.

Community sponsors and supporters include the United Way of Lethbridge and South Western Alberta, United Rentals, Fire and Ice Taps and Grill, and radio stations Rock 106 / 107.7 The River.

The United Way supports a network of community programs and services delivered by many registered charities, by providing both financial and non-financial support. They strive to form positive relationships with charitable organizations, private and government funded, businesses, corporations, and the health sector to name a few.
Additional background information follows.

-- 30 --
Jamie Swan, JDC West Captain: (403) 330-8058 cell / e-mail
United Way of Lethbridge and Southern Alberta: 327-1700



“To Build A Better Community By Organizing
The Capacity Of People To Care For One Another"

The United Way of Lethbridge and South Western Alberta is a registered charitable organization that fundraises on behalf of Canadian Registered Charitable Organizations. United Way of Lethbridge and South Western Alberta raises funds through Special Events and the Annual Campaign. This includes the Employee Workplace Campaign, Corporate Giving, Corporate Matching and Individual Giving. The Community Fund is distributed to registered charitable organizations through an application process.


On January 19 - 21, 2007, over 400 of the top business students from across Canada will gather in Vancouver, BC to compete with the best and experience JDC West. JDC West 2007 features 9 academic case study competitions, 1 Parliamentary-style debate, 1 sports tournament, and 7 school spirit challenges. Each competition will embody the spirit of the 2007 theme, which is Ethics in Business. Teams of up to 44 students will compete in these events for the prestigious title of School of the Year.

Teams that exemplify the spirit of JDC West will also be awarded participation points on the basis of strong positive spirit, support of the organizing committee, and congeniality. Currently, members of the Lethbridge JDC West delegation are volunteering numerous hours with the United Way at the Lethbridge Senior Centre and organizing the Chillin’ for Charity event.


Students will be going around the community asking for pledges in their efforts to raise money. This year, the students hope to raise more than $10,000. Community members who wish to participate in the Chillin’ for Charity 2007 are urged to collect pledges as well.

Jumper registration will take place at Fire and Ice taps and grill on Dec 1st. 70% of the proceeds will be going to the United Way with the other 30% supporting the fundraising program by the JDC West team to send students to a high profile Western Business Competition in Vancouver, BC.

U of L Communications and Public Relations Contact:
Communications and PR Officer (403) 382-7173

Back to the Notice Board