November 29, 2012
Destination Exploration, the U of L Youth Science Programs, is seeking a part-time Youth Science Program Leader. This position requires someone with a high level of enthusiasm, a great deal of creativity and a passion for science education. The candidate must be available to lead our science clubs, which run on Fridays, 1-4 pm from January 18-March 8, 2013 and to deliver a four day camp during the Reading Week break, February 19-22, 2013.
This is a great opportunity for a student to gain experience developing science education materials for grade 1-6 students and to gain practical program coordination and teaching skills. The main duties and minimum qualifications are summarized below:
• Prepare weekly science club lessons for one of our Friday afternoon science clubs (gr. 1-3 or gr. 4-6) and document lessons in a weekly lesson plan to share with the program manager and parents.
• Work with other staff members to coordinate activities and engage all club members.
• Maintain club space and program materials.
• Assist children with activities as needed and encourage a safe, team atmosphere.
• Conduct program evaluation.
• Prepare, prep and deliver materials for our Reading Week Science & Technology Camp (blend of science and technology activities) and conduct relevant evaluation.
• Ensure that all participants conduct themselves safely within a safe environment.
• Current Standard First Aid (or proof of completion by Jan. 18, 2013).
• Clean current criminal record check.
• Experience working with school aged children.
• A strong background or knowledge in a scientific field.
• Ability to work independently and in a team setting.
• High aptitude for technology would be an asset.
This position reports to the Manager of Destination Exploration and will be required to work 5-10 hours per week (with the exception of 8 hour days for our Reading Week Science & Technology Camp) at $13/hr. Hours allocated to program planning are flexible but applicants must be available Friday afternoons 12:30 pm-4:30 pm and ideally for Reading Week. Start date is negotiable but should be no later than Jan. 8, 2013.
If you are interested in this position please submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by December 12, 4:30 pm.
This notice is posted to the Event Calendar on the following dates: