November 15, 2012
ENGLISH FOR ACADEMIC PURPOSES PROGRAM
The University of Lethbridge International Centre for Students is seeking applications for a term English for Academic Purposes (EAP) Instructor for the period of January 2013 – December 2013, with the possibility of extension. EAP instructors report to the Manager of Language Services at the International Centre for Students.
The major duties for this position involve instructing courses in all levels of the EAP program (Intermediate, High Intermediate, Advanced), in Grammar, Communication, Reading, and Writing, as assigned on a semesterly basis. EAP instructors have the opportunity to provide input into the curriculum for the program, both directly through initiatives to revise the curriculum as well as indirectly through classroom practices. Therefore, preference may be given to individuals who have a background in curriculum development, assessment and/or e-learning. The EAP program is designed to improve students’ language and academic skills, and also to allow them to meet the English Language Proficiency Requirement for admission to University of Lethbridge undergraduate and graduate programs.
The successful candidate will ideally have an M.Ed. or M.A. in Teaching English as a Second Language or Applied Linguistics along with at least 3 years of prior EAP teaching experience. Possession of TESL Canada’s Professional Certificate Standard One is required.
The successful candidate will also be able to:
• Draw upon one’s enthusiasm, creativity and innovation to inspire students;
• Make student needs a priority;
• Engage students and fellow staff professionally;
• Possess strong decision-making and problem-solving skills;
• Be organized with superior project and time management skills;
• Possess superior writing and communication skills;
• Have the ability to work effectively in a team as well as independently;
• Have the ability to work effectively with those of differing perspectives and cultures;
• Have the ability to connect details with the overall vision;
• Use technological applications independently and effectively;
• Train and mentor other instructors as required.
Qualified candidates are invited to apply by November 26, 2012. Include a cover letter highlighting how your skills and background would be a good fit for this position, along with a detailed resume with relevant references and salary expectations quoting competition #IN01400 to:
University of Lethbridge
LETHBRIDGE AB T1K 3M4
Resumes received without quoting the competition number will not be accepted.
The position is open to all qualified applicants, although preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada. The University is an inclusive and equitable campus encouraging applications from qualified women and men including persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities and Aboriginal persons.
Thank you to all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.