September 14, 2012
Destination Exploration, the U of L's youth science programs, is seeking a part-time coordinator for its new all girls science club, which will commence this fall. This is an exciting opportunity for an undergraduate or graduate student to participate in a unique project funded by the Canadian Women's Foundation. The intent of the program is to reach out to middle school aged girls and to encourage them to become more interested in science, engineering, math and technology (STEM). We believe in a hands-on approach that involves interactive activities, mentorship and teamwork.
Reporting to the Manager of Youth Science programs, the main duties of this position include the following:
- Develop/approve fun and engaging STEM curriculum to be delivered to grade 6-8 girls.
- Recruit and coordinate female student and faculty volunteers to lead sessions.
- Develop promotional and marketing materials.
- Handle all registrations, waivers and program fees.
- Implement and monitor the program budget.
- Ensure that all funder program requirements are met in curriculum and program delivery.
- Develop and conduct program evaluation.
- Develop strategies for parental involvement and evaluation.
- Liaise with teachers and school administrators to ensure open communication and adequate evaluation of the program.
- Have a strong background in a STEM related field and a passion for education.
- Experience working with school aged youth.
- Comfortable recruiting and coordinating volunteer presenters and providing mentorship training to volunteers.
- Excellent written and communication skills.
- Have a current First Aid certificate or willing to obtain one.
- Provide a recent criminal record check.
This program will be delivered on Friday afternoons 12:00 pm - 3:00 pm (tentatively) so eligible candidates must be available for these times. The position will require a total of 10 hours per week and remuneration is $14/hr. The position will commence the first week of October and continue until the end of April, 2013. This is a 4 year project and has the potential to offer longer term seasonal employment.
Interested candidates are asked to submit their applications to email@example.com by September 21, 2012, 4:00 pm.