Fine Arts - Dean's Office
August 31, 2006
Mad Boy Chronicle by Michael O’Brien
At the University of Lethbridge
Wednesday September 6, 6pm – 10pm
Thursday September 7, 6pm-10pm
Friday September 8, 6pm-10pm
Saturday September 9, 1-6pm
Audition location: room W420, the Drama Studio
Rehearsal and performance dates:
Sept 11 - Oct 7: Mon-Fri 6-10pm and Saturday 1-9pm. Sunday is the day off.
Mon Oct 9 - Monday Oct 16 included: 6-11pm (tech)
Tuesday Oct 17 - Saturday Oct 21: performances.
Rehearsal location: room W420, the Drama Studio
• Please check the rehearsal dates and times above for your availability. You must be available for all rehearsals.
• Sign up for an audition time – the sign-up sheet is outside W850.
• Please read the play. Copies are available in the library.
• Pick out which characters you’d like to be considered for (see cast list).
• Please prepare a short monologue from any play of your choosing, and a short speech (10 lines at most) from Mad Boy Chronicle. (For Inga or Anna, put some of their speeches together to make a monologue.) Use the speech to create a very bold, distinctive character. Embrace the crazy language and use the opportunity for some strong physical choices.
• We’ll see you at the audition!
Director: Vanessa Porteous
If you have any questions, please email:
Mad Boy Chronicle Cast List
1. Gerutha, Fengo’s Wife and Queen. Doesn’t miss her first husband the former King at all – or does she?
2. Lilja, Matthius’ neglected daughter. Well, at least she isn’t a horse.
3. Inga/monk, a Viking lady / also plays a monk.
4. Anna/Petri, a Viking lady / A Christian Missionary.
1. Horvendal, a teenage ex-prince Viking with revenge on his mind.
2. Fengo, his step-father, King of the Vikings. Plans to stay that way.
3. Matthius, Fengo’s second in command. Dreams of more.
4. Ragnar/Ghost, Matthius’ favourite son / Horvendal’s ghostly Dad, the murdered King.
5. Brother Paavo, a Christian missionary.
6. Viking, big fan of Fengo, good with a weapon.
7. Another Viking, another big fan, also into fighting.
Could be either a man or a woman:
Viking singer/Jesus, one of the Vikings, leads them in song / may also play Jesus
I’M LOOKING FOR A COMPOSER OR TUNESMITH WHO CAN PLAY AN ACOUSTIC INSTRUMENT AND SING TO PLAY THIS PART AND ALSO COMPOSE THE MUSIC FOR THE SHOW (2 songs, lots of transitional music and sound)
Total cast size: 12.