Going Away For a While?
If you are a Faculty or Staff member who is going to be off-campus for a significant period of time, there are some things you can do to help your department operate efficiently during your absence.
1. Set up an Out of Office email reminder
When you set up an Out of Office email reminder, the email system will automatically notify those who send you an email that you are away. A typical Out of Office message includes the date you will return as well as an alternate contact if the email is urgent in nature. To set up your Out of Office email reminder from Microsoft Office Outlook, follow these steps:
- Launch Microsoft Office Outlook and view your e-mail.
- Click on the Tools menu and choose Out of Office Assistant...
- A new window will open up for the Out of Office Assistant. Select the option I am currently Out of the Office.
- In the text field, type in the message that you want for the Out of Office AutoReply.
- When you are finished click OK.
For more information on how to set up your Out of Office reminder including Mac and remote locations, go to https://www.uleth.ca/information-technology/services/vacationaway-email, or call the help line at 329-2490.
2. Set up your Online Approver Proxies
If you approve electronic documents such as Time Sheets, Expense Claims, etc., your department relies on the prompt approval of these documents. It is recommended that you set up a 'proxy approver' while you are away. Most approver proxies can be set up online using the Proxy Management form. To use this form, follow these steps:
- Log into The Bridge using this link: https://www.uleth.ca/bridge?ret_code=Y
- Type in the last name of the person you wish to designate as your proxy
- After each letter you type, a list of matching names will appear. Select the appropriate person from the list
- Enter start and end dates for the time period you will be away
- Select which process or processes you would like to assign to this person
- Click Submit
To set up an Expense Claim approver proxy, follow the instructions found at http://www.uleth.ca/financial-services/travel-personal-reimbursement
For assistance, please call Financial Services 329-2206 or Human Resources 329-2274.
3. Set up a Voicemail Extended Absence Greeting
Setting up an Extended Absence Greeting will ensure both internal and external callers know you are away. A typical extended absence greeting message includes the date you will return as well as an alternate contact if the phone call is urgent in nature.
For information on how to set up your Extended Absence Greeting including instructions on how to configure the greeting via the web call the help line at 329-2490.