The Chartered Professional Accountants Board of Governance Competition
This opportunity is available all full-time students in our Management Program regardless of major!!!!!!
Please email Dr. Carla Carnaghan (email@example.com) the following information by November 28th as indicated below
Here's a great opportunity for Faculty of Management students to work as a team, network with other students and professionals, and.win $10,000! The Chartered Professional Accountants Board Governance Competition will be held on March 11-13, 2015 at Hotel Arts in Calgary, where you compete against teams from elsewhere in Alberta. The University of Lethbridge team won in 2012, and we would like to win again this year! All expenses to attend the competition are covered by CPA Alberta and the Faculty of Management. You do
*NOT* need to be an accounting major, but must be a full-time major within the Faculty of Management
What's in it for you, besides the chance at $10,000? Well, 2012's U of L winning team had this to say:
- A chance to really develop your case analysis skills, which are crucial for many undergraduate and MBA courses, and many professional exams
- A really a fun way to get to meet different people and network
- A great team building experience!
- Brings in knowledge from different areas from accounting and other parts of management, and tie all the lose ends from classes together
- Helps with presentation skills (speaking and visual aids),
- Build your resume with extracurricular work related to governance and organizations
- A lot of good food at the competition! Teams are really taken care of!
What are we looking for:
- We are looking to create two teams of 4-5 students each, both of which can go to the competition.
- Teams can be from any of the three campuses
- You can be in any year of studies, but must be a full time student.
- Students ideally should have some combination of: strong public speaking skills; PowerPoint skills; previous case analysis experience; and team building skills.
- Demonstrated academic excellence in their studies, and leadership in the classroom and community;
- Enthusiasm, and a desire to win!
What we will expect from you before the competition:
- At least a few hours a week in the Spring Term working to prepare for the competition, by doing such things as case analysis workshops, practice governance cases, presentation workshops, team building exercises etc. - We expect 5-6 competition related training sessions.
- participation in at least 2 mock competitions, where you will have 6 hours to prepare the case, then present to a panel of judges.
Interested? Please email Dr. Carla Carnaghan (firstname.lastname@example.org) the following information by November 28th:
- A resume;
- An unofficial transcript;
- A short statement indicating the skills you would bring to the competition, as well as anything else you think is relevant; and
- a short letter of recommendation that attests to your academic strengths and leadership abilities from a faculty advisor, an instructor, or the Dean.
- Carla Carnaghan will pick the teams. Interviews may be required; I will contact you to arrange an interview if so.
If you have any questions, please also address them to Dr. Carnaghan.
Carla Carnaghan, Ph.D, CISA, CMA Assistant Professor
Faculty of Management Carla.Carnaghan@uleth.ca
University of Lethbridge (403) 329-2351
4401 University Drive fax (403) 329-2038
Lethbridge, AB T1K 3M4