Instructions: Microform Scanners
The Minolta MS Microform Scanners available on Level 11 in the Library have been connected to computers which allow users to create digital images from microfilm or microfiche. These digital images can then be printed, saved to a USB key or attached to an email message.
Before you print, email, or download any microform materials, please read the Guidelines to Copying Under Fair Dealing posted on the bulletin board beside the two Microform Scanners.
- Turn on the Microform Scanner. The power button is located on the right-hand side of each machine. (Look for the bright yellow sticker.)
- Turn on the computer beside the Scanner.
- Load microfilm or microfiche. See the instructions for loading microfilm or microfiche documents posted on the bulletin board beside the two Microform Scanners. Use the screen on the Microform Scanner to adjust the layout and focus of the page that you wish to scan.
- Adobe Acrobat Professional will be open on the computer beside the machine that you are using. To scan, select Document (in the Toolbar at the top of the screen), scroll down to Scan to PDF.
- Click Scan. If you get an error message saying that there is no connection to the scanner, try re-starting the computer.
- Name your document and select where you would like to save the document:
- Your USB key
- The hard drive or desktop of the computer
Note: If you choose to save to the hard drive or desktop of the computer, your file will be deleted as soon as the computer is turned off or re-booted.
Note: You will not be able to save to your P: drive.
- Hit Scan. Be patient. This process may take some time.
- Once the page is scanned, a message will pop up "scan more pages" or "scan complete". Choose the appropriate selection.
- When you are finished scanning, close the window. Then you can choose to:
- Print: Select “Print” on the toolbar at the top of the Browser window. Enter your username and password. If you have money in your Bridge Bucks account, the file will be sent to the print queue (to be printed at any printer on campus. The closest printer is located on level 11 of the Library). If you do not have a UofL Bridge Bucks Account, you can purchase a Bridge Bucks card using the machine located at the Library entrance.
- Email: Open your email client (e.g., Webexchange) and attach the file to an email message.
Warning: The file size of scanned images can be quite large. Many email providers place a limit on the size of individual messages. If you attempt to email an image that exceeds the limits, that email may be rejected. For this reason, we recommend that you save scanned images to a USB key whenever possible.
- Save: If you have not already done so, you can choose to save the file to your USB key or flash drive.
- Before you leave. . .
Turn off the computer beside the Scanner.
Remove film/fiche from scanner and place in the tray on top of the microform cabinets.
Turn off the Microform Scanner.
Need More Help?
For assistance in using the machines, please contact the staff at the Information & Research Assistance Desk on Level 10 of the Library.
To purchase a Bridge Bucks card, use the machine at the Library entrance. This machine takes cash only.
Content Revised: February 21, 2012