Copyright in the Library

What kinds of materials can be placed on Reserve?

If you wish to place physical copies of materials in the Library's Reserve Collection, original works such as published books, printed journal issues, and films or recordings in their original cases are generally preferred. Any reproductions of works you wish to place in the Reserve Collection must be published as an open access work or it must be covered by an applicable Library electronic resourcelicense, fair dealing, or permission from the copyright owner. For information on how to place materials in the Reserve Collection please see the guidelines for Print Reserve.

If you wish to place electronic copies on reserve, you can have them added to the Library's E-Reserve system. Students will access E-Reserve materials using the same Course Reserves system used to access print reserves. Items that may be placed on E-Reserve include links to Web-accessible content, and digital content such as PDFs, images, audio clips, and video clips. Except for links (which are not copies of works), copyright permissions coverage requirements for E-Reserve materials are the same as those for Reserve Collection materials, above. For information on how to place materials on E-Reserve please see the guidelines for Electronic Reserve.

What are licenses for electronic resources?

The University Library contracts with a variety of vendors and publishers to provide users with thousands of electronic resources (databases, e-journals, e-books, etc.) costing hundreds of thousands of dollars per year.  In addition to paying for these resources, the Library negotiates license agreements that stipulate how and by whom a given resource may be used.  You have access to these information resources if you are a current student, faculty, or staff member, and in most cases you will have on- as well as off-campus access.

To determine the usage rights applicable to a particular article retrieved from a Library database, look up the title of the journal in which it is published using the Library's Copyright Permissions Look-up tool. Access to licensed resources is made available through public workstations within the Library.  If license terms are violated by anyone, licensors may temporarily suspend access for the entire university community.  In cases where a resolution cannot be reached, the vendor may have the right to permanently revoke a license and access to the resource.

Are there special rules for scanning?

In general the statutory provisions and conditions applicable to scanning a copyright-protected work are the same as those that apply to copying the work using other reproduction methods. It may therefore be the case that scanning a work is permissible under fair dealing. In addition, the work you wish to scan may be covered by a Creative Commons license.

If your desired use of a work falls outside of the Copyright Act infringement exceptions, is not covered by an applicable license, and is not in the public domain, you will need to obtain the copyright owner’s permission. For assistance in seeking required copyright permissions, please contact the University Copyright Advisor.