Records Management Forms
Transferring inactive records to the Records Centre
To prepare records for transfer to the Records Centre please follow these steps:
- Purge the files. A quick perusal of the files is all that is necessary. You don't need to check every document in a file, just remove what is obvious.
- Take documents out of binders. Recycle the binders.
- Remove all bulldog clips. Recycle.
- Remove external publications such as journals, brochures or vendor catalogs. These are not University records.
- Arrange the files into a logical sequence. If using the Functional Classification System, arrange the files numerically. If the files are case files, file them alphabetically, or project files, file by project number or name. Leave about an inch of space for records to settle.
- Box the records. Use Records Centre boxes. Call Records Management (2750) for a supply of boxes. Do not ask for boxes from Physical Plant.
- Complete the Records Transfer Form (Microsoft Word format).
- Be sure to include the Department Name and Contact information in the header. (Double click in the header to activate).
- List the contents of the box in the same order as the records in the box. List all boxes in a transfer on one form. When you get to the end just press tab to continue on sequential pages.
- Use the Functional Classification System to determine retention periods.
- Attach the completed form to an email and send to email@example.com for approval.
- Do not ship the boxes until you receive approval from Records Management.
- Label each box using the labels sent with the boxes. Place the label on the short end of the box.
- When you receive approval from Records Management, contact Physical Plant (fill out an Online Work Request) to arrange for transfer to Records Management. Make sure the number of boxes shipped matches the number of boxes listed on the Records Transfer Form.
Retreiving records after they have been transferred to the Records Centre.
To request records from the Records Centre complete the Request Records From Storage Form (Microsoft Word format) and fax (2234) or send to Records Management through interoffice mail. If the request is a RUSH, or a FOIP request please indicate on the form and Records Management staff will make every effort to expedite the request.
Requests received by 11:00 am will be completed the same day.
Requests received by 3:00 pm will be completed the next day.
Arranging for confidential Shredding
- To ensure the protection of personal information place confidential shredding in a box with a cover. Photocopy paper boxes are sufficient. Please do not use 2 cubic foot moving boxes. Do not ask for boxes from Physical Plant.
- Complete the Confidential Shred Form (Adobe pdf format) and attach it on the box (a single piece of tape is sufficient).
- Please be very specific when providing a description of the records being destroyed, including dates.
- There is a place on the form for the Account Code for your department. The acct portion is already filled in, complete the remainder of your departmental fund, org and prog. The cost of shredding will be billed to your department when it is completed.
- Student work must be retained for 12 months under FOIP guidelines. Use the Request for Storage and Confidential Shredding of Student Work form. Indicate which semester and year the work relates to and indicate the Date Eligible for Disposition using the guidelines at the top of the form. We will store student work on behalf of departments and dispose of it when it is eligible. By completing this form and providing an authorized signature you are authorizing the automatic disposition of student work as it becomes eligible.
- Fill out an Online Work Request for Physical Plant to transfer the boxes to Records Management.
Content Revised: August 10, 2010