IT Services operates an internet firewall in order to facilitate and enhance network and computer security. This service operates in a mode where all internet access is denied by default and is allowed only by exception.
As an example, Web browsing (http) has been allowed as an exception. If you are trying to access this service on a non-standard port (registered) it will be blocked.
While many common network protocols are configured to work across campus, most network ports are blocked. Exceptions can be made with a valid academic or business rationale, and are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Contact the ITS Solutions Centre.. Please include a completed Firewall Change Request Form with your request. The Firewall Change Request Form should be completed by the authorized personnel only. Sections 1-10 at the top of the page should be completed by the person requesting modifications to the firewall. The bottom sections of the form will be completed by IT security staff.
The form can also be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Confirmation of completion of the requested change will be made to the requestor by phone or email.
- Requestor's Name (Printed): Enter the name of the person making the firewall change request.
- Requestor's Phone #: Enter the phone number of the contact person for the request.
- Requestor's Email: Enter the email address of the contact person for the request.
- Department: Enter the department name of the person making the request.
- Change Category: Mark the change category. A normal change request will be handled within two working days. An emergency change request will be handled as quickly as possible. To be an emergency the change must correct a major security risk.
- Proposed Change date: Enter the date changes to the firewall should be applied. If changes do not need to be applied on a specific date, leave this field blank.
- Requested Changes: Enter the requested firewall rule modification information. The source IP address, source port and protocol, destination IP address, destination port and protocol, action, add/remove rule and reason for change must be completed for each change requested. An example is provided on the form. If necessary, indicate additional requests on a blank page and attach to the form. To change an existing rule, delete the old one and add the new one.
- Description of What you are trying to Accomplish: Enter a brief description of what is to be accomplished with the firewall rule change. If necessary, attach additional pages.
- Expiry Date: When does the requested change expire?
- Authorized Requestor's Signature, Title: Enter the signature and job title of an authorized UofL contact. If the form is submitted by email a signature is not required, but the email must originate from an authorized UofL contact's email.
- Date: Enter the date of signature.
There is no cost for this service, as it is funded by the University.
Monday - Friday 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM. Please allow up to 48 hours for processing.