If you have accidentally or prematurely deleted an email within the past 2 weeks, IT Services can help you restore it.
If you are on the Exchange server (faculty or staff), this is accomplished in Outlook (Office Outook 2010 or Outlook Web App) by using the "Recover Deleted Items" tool. When using the Recover Deleted Items tool, emails are restored instantly.
If you are not on the Exchange server (students, etc.) then we will have to restore the email from our backups (no self-service option). In order to restore the email from our backups, we will need to know specific details about the deleted message (date sent, sender's email address and subject). As this is a manual process, the specified emails will be restored based on resource availablity.
Self-service for Exchange users:
Those using Outlook 2010 in Windows can access the tool using their Outlook client by following these steps:
- In your Outlook profile, click the Folder tab.
- Under Folder, in the Clean Up area, click the Recover Deleted Items button.
- In the Recover Deleted Items window, select the message(s) you wish to recover and click the Recover Selected Items icon.
All other users (Mac and web-based access) can access the tool by following these steps:
- Access Outlook Web App by going to https://webexchange.uleth.ca.
- Enter your User Name and Password.
- In the Mail view of your account, right click on the Deleted Items folder. Select Recover Deleted Items in the popup.
- Select the message(s) you wish to recover and click the Recover Selected Items button.
(Note: IT Services can also help you use this tool to restore the deleted email, if necessary.)
For non-Exchange users, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with specific details regarding the date the email was sent, the email address of the person who sent it and the subject line of the email in question and we can restore it for you.
There is no cost for this service, as it is funded by the University.
Exchange Users: 24/7 for self service on Exchange
For ITS-assisted email restorations, please contact the Solutions Centre.
Monday - Friday, 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM.