To coordinate, in compliance with Government regulations, the collection
and transportation of hazardous wastes generated by Departments within
the University Community.
PROCEDURE / POLICY
Collection of hazardous wastes will be scheduled
4 times per year approximately
2 weeks after the semester has ended (i.e. May, August and January),
and as required.
- Generators must obtain proper waste containers. If
there are any questions with respect to the type of
container contact the OHS department.
Generators must ensure that all chemical wastes are properly identified
on the waste containers and stored in compliance with regulations. Do not
fill liquid containers more than 90% full (leave room for expansion).
- Generators will store their accumulation of wastes
until day of collection and transportation.
- Ten to seven days prior to the collection and transportation
process, OHS notify all waste generator units of the
date and time of pickup.
- A Chemical Waste Profile Sheet is to be completed
by the units. The sheet is to be photocopied for your
department and the original returned to OHS 4 days prior
to pick up.
- OHS will arrange for waste removal to the processing
facility and be responsible for requisitioning and maintaining
records as required.
A representative of the Disposal Company accompanied by a
Supervisor, Caretaking will remove the waste from the generating units on the day scheduled for
- OHS will observe waste disposal company personnel
to ensure proper handling procedures are complied with
and will sign the manifests.
The Supervisor, Caretaking will ensure that all empty waste containers be
returned to the generator units.
- OHS will prepare and supply the departments with
a cost analysis report following each collection.
WASTE DISPOSAL FORM (Requires Adobe Reader